Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 June Safety Fast page 28
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 6

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2019 :  14:06:10  Show Profile
I must agree with Peter, ' built in the style of ' or J1/J4 BITSO !!
Sorry, are we getting a bit silly now?!!

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2019 :  16:17:55  Show Profile
I would like to just say l generally agree with Terry Holden’s posting of the 10/6.
I think l prefer the word ‘style’ after the model designation e.g. Richard’s car would be J1/J4 style , to any of the other suggestions .
However , in the case of Michael Barber’s car l think that should be referred to as a PB Special. Now l know there was the single seater Q type of Doreen Evans , which this resembles , but that in itself COULD be looked on as a Q type special in the broader sense of the word.. If it is called a PB/Q style the general public will think all Q types look like that.
The use of the word ‘replica’ should , l think, only apply to a car produced by the works and should be over 90% the same as the genuine racing model .
Can we learn from other makes e g Riley ?. There are many copies of Brooklands , Imp, Sprite etc models made from mundane models so how do the Riley Club define those , l wonder .

Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2019 :  16:44:13  Show Profile
If you want a few moments of 'you cannot be serious', put 'Bentley Replica' into a google search.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 10/06/2019 :  20:08:08  Show Profile
Blimey! A Ford Mustang built in the style of a Bentley

George
Go to Top of Page

Roger Cadogan

United Kingdom
493 Posts

Posted - 12/06/2019 :  20:46:23  Show Profile
During a recent informal discussion with a member of the committee, where the subject was a copy of a special that was very well known the phrase used in one reply was " tribute car". I thought this had a very gentle ring to it that in no way could be interpreted as any form of disapproval.
I think we are at risk of being a bit pedantic on this issue and believe that using and enjoying our cars is a pleasure that may pass all too soon.

Roger
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2019 :  18:50:55  Show Profile
Some months after this topic seems to have gone cold, I have a suggestion.

Reading something in connection with my other interest, old aeroplanes, I found an item about Joe Bloggs' "Reproduction" SE5a (one of the best British WW1 fighters for those who don't know). I wonder if the Committee might consider adopting this word. A KN Saloon built into a K3 reproduction for example in no way diminishes a 12/12 Replica M but the description is not long winded and yet quite clearly says that the car is not the real thing.

Any support?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2010 Posts

Posted - 17/08/2019 :  19:17:00  Show Profile

Hello, Dave.

Whilst appreciating your thoughtful comments, I feel the description ‘reproduction’ could lend itself to the impression that said vehicle somehow is of entirely new construction.
Many copies, replicas, call it what you may, of course contain a percentage of new parts and material but the word reconstruction doesn’t take into consideration that many such vehicles contain many period, genuine MG parts if not the entire chassis and running gear. ( The chassis, or at least the original offside dumb iron being a minimum requirement by the Register.)

Sorry, but I think this could cause even more confusion.

What do others think ? ( Particularly those who have actually carried out such a project ! )

Cheers,

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2019 :  23:00:11  Show Profile
Completely agree with you Chris.

Have the MMM Committee given any further thought to the current shortfalls in car descriptions shown for annotated MMM yearbook photographs of MMM cars. It all seems to have gone quiet, even through some good suggestions were put forward by members.

Rich

Vintage MG Parts

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 18/08/2019 23:03:18
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2019 :  23:52:25  Show Profile
Richard,

The next committee meeting is on September 1st, I expect the topic will be discussed then.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2019 :  07:59:39  Show Profile
Thanks Peter

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2019 :  10:35:15  Show Profile
I see where you're coming from Chris. I suppose to some extent we are scuppered by MG's use of the replica word as otherwise, I feel this would have been an acceptable term.

I do think though that what we are after is a description which is not long winded and which does reduce the chance of any confusion between the real thing and a vehicle which, in many cases, is so accurately and beautifully executed that a real risk of such confusion exists.

While reproduction may suggest something entirely produced from scratch, Pur Sang for example, does that really matter to the wider world? In the Triple M world most people would be aware of the fact that these cars usually contain original parts. Those seeking to enter the Triple M world would be aware they were not buying a K3, QA or whatever. They can then research the actual build of the car concerned.

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2010 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2019 :  15:05:56  Show Profile

Thanks again, Dave.

You make some good points and it will be interesting to see what the Committee come up with.

Regards,

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Colin McLachlan

United Kingdom
991 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2019 :  10:02:30  Show Profile
I understand that the Frazer Nash guys get round the problem of reproductions of the Frazer Nash Le Mans Replica by calling them a Le Mans Replica replica, or sometimes a Le Mans Replica "replica". So, could we not have 12/12 Replica replicas? Then all other reconstructed MGs could safely be referred to as "replicas", always with a lower case "r".

I've typed that bloody word so often now that it looks wrong!

Colin

Crail, Fife.
PA 0613
MG3242
Register No. 2591
Go to Top of Page

chapelfarmer

United Kingdom
242 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2019 :  10:50:59  Show Profile
Is 'conversion' a word worth thinking about?
Austin Healey 100s were available as 100 and 100M (and 100S but that is a racing car). 100M was a Healey factory-fitted performance modification kit to match the team's Le Mans car spec and was also fitted by dealers either as an aftermarket enhancement or to a new car. A 100 in v good condition today can be worth a lot more if it is a 'factory' 100M and a considerable premium attaches to dealer-fitted versions too - even though nobody actually knows how many of these there were and they aren't generally very well documented.
The problem lies with cars which have been subsequently / more recently converted, generally during restoration, at which point it's fairly easy to fit the necessary pistons, carbs, valve springs, cold air box, louvred bonnet etc. These cars are basically indistinguishable from undocumented dealer-fitted 100M cars.
None of this would matter if it wasn't for money but since quite a lot of it is involved, a register has been set up which seeks to validate and endorse a) factory cars b) dealer-fitted cars and c) owner-upgraded cars done to the right standard and spec. This 3rd category is the interesting one I suppose since it's a bit like what we're talking about here. The term that's been adopted is 'Le Mans Conversion' and for a small fee you can register your car as such - provided the work's been done to the satisfaction of the registrar.
I think this is quite a good solution - converting is after all what's been done? The backstory of any individual conversion is only really the concern of the owner and the registrar - the 'Conversion' status is awarded to the car by him/her on the basis of the result, not the route to it. Anyone wanting to buy the car can easily see what 'Conversion' actually means either by looking online or by the paperwork the registrar issues to the cars' owners.

john
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2019 :  11:19:32  Show Profile
Unfortunately whatever the Register decides, the rest of the world seems to use the word 'replica' with gay abandon. Just seen a friends Octagon mag which uses the term for a J4 copy...perhaps we should look at it the other way and insert the word 'Genuine' in front of known genuine cars...

Regards,
Graham

Edited by - MaGic_GV on 20/08/2019 11:20:11
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 6 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000