Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Steering Lock issue
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mirek Sharp

Canada
126 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2019 :  01:08:45  Show Profile
Still struggling to get PA 1823 running well enough to drive for a few months before our Canadian winter sets in. Thought I was close - got new tyres fitted, took up the slack in the tie-rod ends and re-set the toe-in. I was just checking a tight spot in the steering around the centre point when I found the tyres are fouling the inner wing on full lock, both sides. Actually they are hitting the head of the hollow bolt on the oiler for the brake cable (and has broken the joint between the copper pipe and the banjo on one side - another fix to put on the list). Closer inspection of the hollow bolt head reveals that this has been happening a while, so I don't think it is the new tyres (Excelsior Comps 4.00). Blower describes setting up the steering lock as to not stress the steering box and refers to "front axle stops" (pg 415) to limit the steering lock. I cannot find any such stops. Any suggestions as to how to limit steering lock to rectify this? (Please don't suggest not turning the steering wheel all the way - I figured out that one ).

Mirek

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2019 :  09:27:52  Show Profile
Hello Mirek

If the steering is swivelling too far in one or other direction, you can consider replacing the existing kingpin cotter pins with an alternative version. Sports and vintage sell them – they are longer than the standard cotter pins, threaded at both ends for retaining nuts.

If, when installed, the pins are too long and unnecessarily restrict the steering movement, then it’s an easy message to grind material off one or other end of the pin to achieve the setting you want.

Hope this helps.

Dick Morbey
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2019 :  09:51:23  Show Profile
The special double ended cotter pins which you describe Dick, were I believe standard equipment for the P Types. When I bought my PA in 1958 I often went to Brittains Garage in Preston Road, Brighton who were the main M.G.Agents and they had box loads of the things on their shelf. Special long nuts were available to form the "stop" by making contact with the steering knuckle on each extreme lock. Wish now that I had bought a few more.

Coiln B.

Edited by - Colin Butchers on 18/08/2019 09:54:27
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2010 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2019 :  11:43:27  Show Profile

Interestingly, Riley’s and other makes had projections formed on the front axle king pin end. These came into contact with the back face of the stub axle and controlled the extent of lock. In addition, on Rileys there were also adjusters on the steering box bracket which controlled the extent of travel of the drop arm. Truly wonderfully engineered !

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Mirek Sharp

Canada
126 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2019 :  13:12:38  Show Profile
Ah - that is the answer I was hoping to get! Thank you Dick, Colin and Chris. I did notice that there was wear on the end of one of the king pin cotters, and I think they may have been restricting movement in the past, but not enough. However, with the new tyres, the tyres hit the inside of the wing just barely before contact is made with the cotter. An email to Mike Dowley is next on the agenda! Now to find out what is causing that tight spot in the steering as it goes through the centre point. I did adjust the tire rod ends according to spec, but I have read that if they are too tight they can cause binding - so that is my starting point. First - coffee.

Mirek
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1565 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2019 :  20:26:53  Show Profile
Mirek,
Re steering lock-stop as fitted to my PB:

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

Mirek Sharp

Canada
126 Posts

Posted - 20/08/2019 :  21:49:52  Show Profile
Thanks for the great picture Bruce - that is exactly what mine is missing. I ordered one from S&V yesterday.

Mirek
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000