Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MG PB Fuel Tank Dip Stick
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

sam christie

United Kingdom
3101 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2019 :  18:00:27  Show Profile
Has anyone ever thought of marketing blank petrol dipsticks in period style as supplied for other makes? The owner could graduate the stick according to his or her own tank or the sticks could be manufactured like the examples to order already graduated.

The example below is among the (seemingly) original tools for M-type 2M 377. It could be a period extra.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2019 :  18:07:26  Show Profile
I once received a measuring stick from a practical joker MG friend for my TD. Wooden stick with two markings on it: "E" at the bottom. "F" at the top. It's all I've ever really needed.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, PB0560
Go to Top of Page

DSW

Germany
95 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2019 :  20:18:49  Show Profile
I made one years ago from a wooden rod and filling the tank gallon by gallon at a pump.
This got replaced, also years ago, by a wooden one made Vintage MG Parts. Maybe they still do them?
As I cruise around on the continent, I marked tha back of this in litres for convenience.
Anyway it matched my home made one well enough and looks more professional. Fotos attached.

David

Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2543 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2019 :  23:23:55  Show Profile
David, I'm not altogether clear why, with a 12 gallon tank the VMGP dip stick is marked "0" about 3.5 inches from the bottom and reads up to 12 gallons. As it is about 1.125 inches from "0" to "1", that 3.5 inches must equate to approximately 3 gallons, or have I missed the obvious?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2019 :  15:14:03  Show Profile
1 to 12 can't be gallons, they are just graduations. The profile of the tank alters with depth, so the marks would be further apart as you go up the stick - look at Dave's homemade one and you can see that graduations for 40 to 50 litres at the top of the stick are further apart than those at the bottom for 1 - 10

And don't forget after all this that when your level is near the petrol feed pipe you will get fuel starvation on r/h bends and up steep hills! At least I do...

Regards,
Graham
Go to Top of Page

DSW

Germany
95 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2019 :  20:59:13  Show Profile
Yes, sorry, I did indeed never check the gallons, only using the home made litre scale - assumed the gallon scale was ok.
For me the zero is where the reserve starts, and agrees with my copper pipe length.
I moved from my thin rod (with litres) as it was too short and tended to want to fall into the tank!
Although the tank is bigger at the bottom, there is a cut-out for the battery, so really only an empirical filling and marking will work, unless you are a maths genuius.
Anyway, it is only of use to see if one needs to head off for refuelling sooner or later on a journey, and perhaps to know roughly how much to put in! I ran the car as a student and fuel was expensive.
David
Go to Top of Page

Robin Macmillan

United Kingdom
415 Posts

Posted - 30/08/2019 :  22:29:44  Show Profile
One has to remember that even fuel gauges are not that accurate ....... looking into the tank and working on about 25 mpg from full to where you are has always worked for us .....

The reserve does the job, which is what it was intended to do.

Robin

PB 0527
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000