Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 Under bonnet side valances cycle wings
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hillebrand

Germany
133 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2019 :  21:25:13  Show Profile
Hello ,

I'm looking for 2 underbonnet side valances for my PA fitted with cycle wings.

Many thanks in advance!

otto

Roger Cadogan

United Kingdom
493 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2019 :  15:28:47  Show Profile
Hi Otto, I have got a cycle wing PA that was converted many years ago. I used the original wooden part that was the filler for the swept wings as a partial pattern. I made them from 12 mm marine grade ply and clad them with 1.2 mm aluminium. The original fixed brackets were used for the existing bonnet catches. From memory the front fixings are single bolts passing through the high point of the chassis above the axle and the rear fixing mounts on what I think was the original angle bracket that bolts to the firewall uprights.

If this is any help to you that's fine and please contact me if you require any more information.

Roger
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1979 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2019 :  20:07:26  Show Profile
I have one which is also much the same, converted by me in 1972. I believe it to be an effective and simple conversion.
Go to Top of Page

Hillebrand

Germany
133 Posts

Posted - 20/09/2019 :  21:07:54  Show Profile
Hi Nigel, hi Roger

Thank You for the valuable hints!
After several attemps with the existing original wooden parts the way You did it I wasn't happy with this approach and so asked Steve Gilbert to do the side valances for me asYou can see on the attached pictures.

All the best for You!

otto
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2165 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2019 :  06:30:31  Show Profile
Ideally Otto, there should be. swage line along the leading edge for the bonnet side to rest in, similar to the J and F type if you are going down this route

Rich

Vintage MG Parts
Go to Top of Page

G Martin

New Zealand
10 Posts

Posted - 10/10/2019 :  00:35:31  Show Profile
Hi Otto,
I have been through this with PA 0817 which has been converted to cycle wings. As Rich has said, mine has a swage on the top edge and you will note that it has some aluminium machined to take the buffer strip rather than a series of holes. (That aspect is not an original detail but it does work very well for the bottom edge of the bonnet.)
Some photos attached with the detail.

Greg

Go to Top of Page

Horst Wendling

Germany
465 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2019 :  21:12:25  Show Profile
... a long time is was not happy with sharp edge of my parts.
One day i had seen the brass pipes from the centrtal lube system and use it. Silver solder was a good solution.

Horst
PA492
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000