Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Mille Miglia
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rob Bell

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2019 :  14:33:59  Show Profile
An idle moment at lunch time led me thinking about the Mille Miglia. I would be great to have a go and one for the bucket list for sure.

Looking at the eligibility criteria, the number of MMM cars eligible seem somewhat limited - the mighty K3 of course, and C-types.

Were no M-types ever entered privately prior to '33?

Back to daydreaming! Thanks

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2019 :  14:46:08  Show Profile
PB and L2...…..and TB for the T-Types.
Go to Top of Page

Rob Bell

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2019 :  11:45:48  Show Profile
Thanks John - had the crazy idea of entering my M - but it would seem it would not be eligible. Pitty...!
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1503 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2019 :  12:00:07  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Bell

Thanks John - had the crazy idea of entering my M - but it would seem it would not be eligible. Pitty...!

race prep it Rob and enter Le Mans Classic it should be eligible and probably about the same high event entry costs involved

Colin Murrell
D0285
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

Rob Bell

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2019 :  16:02:10  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by colintf
race prep it Rob and enter Le Mans Classic it should be eligible and probably about the same high event entry costs involved

You're right, it ain't cheap - but what an event! So too is LMC - quite different in other important aspects. But I am sure a lot of fun. Plus I'd need to upgrade my race licence!!! LOL

Anyway, before any of that I actually need to finish building the car! And then rebuild the engine. If Phoenix ever get around to taking any new orders.
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2019 :  16:08:31  Show Profile
I have two lamps with long top cowls, I am informed they were Mille Miglia MG lamps, could they have been fitted to Cottingham's J2 J4129 ? One came with the dismantled parts, I bought the other to make a match, they look like very large side lamps.

Chris

J2353
J4129

Edited by - MG Maverick on 17/10/2019 16:13:09
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2010 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2019 :  16:51:20  Show Profile

Hello, Chris.

Are your lamps like this ? My picture shows the fog lamps that were fitted to K3s for the Mille Miglia.

Would be interesting to see pictures of your lamps in due course, I appreciate you are unable to post at the moment.

Regards,

Chris

Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1503 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2019 :  17:16:19  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Rob Bell

quote:
Originally posted by colintf

You're right, it ain't cheap - but what an event! So too is LMC - quite different in other important aspects. But I am sure a lot of fun. Plus I'd need to upgrade my race licence!!! LOL

Anyway, before any of that I actually need to finish building the car! And then rebuild the engine. If Phoenix ever get around to taking any new orders.

Maybe Baynton Jones can help with a crank Rob?

Colin Murrell
D0285
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2019 :  18:13:26  Show Profile
I believe I am right in saying that Baynton Jones are currently making a batch of M/D/J cranks for March delivery.
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1503 Posts

Posted - 17/10/2019 :  20:02:48  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by kimber

I believe I am right in saying that Baynton Jones are currently making a batch of M/D/J cranks for March delivery.

That's good to know, Thankyou

Colin Murrell
D0285
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2019 :  04:15:04  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Westbury

Hello, Chris.

Are your lamps like this ? My picture shows the fog lamps that were fitted to K3s for the Mille Miglia.

Would be interesting to see pictures of your lamps in due course, I appreciate you are unable to post at the moment.

Regards,

Chris

Hello Chris, For sure, I will be back in the UK in just over a week. The ones I have look the same, although one has a slightly different cowl in that it has a central bead in the cowl, the other is plain. I can only assume that they were fitted to J4129, maybe Cottingham or someone fitted them for a purpose, I did not realise they were fog lamps, Thanks for advising.

Chris

J2353
J4129
Go to Top of Page

Rob Bell

United Kingdom
181 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2019 :  08:28:42  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by kimber

Thanks - that is very useful to know!
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2010 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2019 :  12:03:05  Show Profile
Thanks, Chris.

If you look closely at my lamp nearest you can just make out a central bead. Seems it is the same as yours.
It does make you wonder why there were lamps like these among your parts.

Cheers,

Chris
Go to Top of Page

MG Maverick

United Kingdom
1045 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2019 :  14:03:51  Show Profile
Yes Chris, upon closer inspection I can just make out the seam, one lamp I have is the same, the other is missing the seam.

I do have so many unanswered questions, if only Michael Bird could have documented some of what his thoughts were...and maybe not dismantled both J2s. I am used to research, for my Rover collection and others, this has been a challenge. Michael also did not take any photographs, or none have survived if he did. Angela, his widow, really knows very little and is learning how much her husband really did not know about the cars. The important thing is to find as much archived material as I can, my focus at the moment on Dudley's connection with the Monte Carlo Rally as a driver, two sources have mentioned that he applied, but current information does not list him in that role. Attached photo of some of Dudley Cottingham's items that were passed on to me by Angela for safe keeping with the car.

I have other items also that so far evade identification, maybe even not MG, I will attempt to find out further about the life of J4129 after Cottingham and before Bird, I have a buff log book back in the UK which I will add the names of previous owners listed which may be of significance.

Chris

J2353
J4129

Edited by - MG Maverick on 18/10/2019 14:14:23
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000