Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Brake Cross Shaft - M Type
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 19/02/2008 :  19:28:43  Show Profile
It looks as though I will have to fabricate a Brake Cross Shaft for my M Type. The easiest way will be to TIG the leavers to the tube but I would really like to know how they were originall secured. Also I have a number of photos of cross shafts. On some cars the bearings appear to be simply the 1/8" angle that's fittted to the chassis. On others there is a boss inboard of the bracket which could be either attached to the bracket to provide a longer bearing or maybe it is simply a spacer. can someone please provide info?

Cheers

Jan T

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 28/02/2008 :  10:22:38  Show Profile
Steve - thanks for the reply

I have spoken to a couple of people off line and even though they were unable to provide details of how the leavers were originally secured they were able to confirm the stroke of the leavers is 2 1/2" with the handbrake one being 3 1/2". Since I don't have castings with a boss around the fixing hole I won't have suficient meat to take a pin so I will weld the leavers to my cross shaft. What appears to be important though are the bearings for the shaft. These were originally simply pieces of 3/16" angle plate but if these are replaced with longer, more robust bearings, there is a risk of the cross shaft locking if the chassis twists when being driven over a bumpy road. Original is best! There is one dimension I coulld do with though - do you have the length of the triangular plate that the outer case of the front brake cable is bolted to.

Again thanks for the reply to my query

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2008 :  13:26:29  Show Profile
Hi Jan, length of plate is 7 and 1/8th inches. All corners rounded. Rich
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly