Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Vroom Vroo????
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Gideon

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2020 :  00:58:04  Show Profile
Happy New Year and new decade, ladies and gentlemen.

I am not sure if this marks the first Triple M post of the 20's, but if so... I'll be starting off with a puzzle. I was looking for some old MG footage, and came across this little snippet of a beauty. Definitely not of the MG vareietal, however that does beg the question: what is it?????

Any ideas? I know it is only a limited offering, but lets see what the family on here can uncover....because I am stumped.

Looking forward to those guesses ... or answers!

Happy new year again.

Oz34

United Kingdom
2539 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2020 :  01:21:51  Show Profile
SS90 or 100?

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Gideon

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2020 :  01:38:03  Show Profile
Hi Dave,

Thank you for your post. Whilst it certainly has elements of SS100.... I can't find any record of an SS90 or SS100 with spats. the lights did suggest SS100 to me at first also.

Best

Gideon
Go to Top of Page

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2020 :  07:23:18  Show Profile
Gideon and forum:

I enclose a link to a website that shows various SS Jaguar models photographs. Nothing that matches your photograph.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ss+jaguar&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj9vpGQ7eHmAhV8XhUIHam_Bh0Q7AkoAXoECA4QDQ&biw=1280&bih=578

After that if you feel you need more details a email to one of the various SS clubs might identify the car.
Happy New Year.

John Bakewell
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2020 :  10:00:11  Show Profile
I also think the car looks very much like a Jaguar SS90 or SS100. Perhaps the owner decided to slightly modify the mudguards?

Happy New Year to all.

George
L2023
Go to Top of Page

Phil Standish

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2020 :  10:35:11  Show Profile
The one off SS100 FHC had spats. There is a photo on Zwakman Jaguar website where it is advertised for sale
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2020 :  10:37:13  Show Profile
The owner obviously had little interest in what was happening behind him, nor for that matter what was going on on either side of him.
Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

Cooperman

United Kingdom
760 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2020 :  12:01:07  Show Profile
Is it a SS 90/100 with a coach built body?

John Cooper M 628
Go to Top of Page

tonym

United Kingdom
653 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2020 :  15:01:13  Show Profile
My money is on it being a home built "bitsa"
The sharp angles to the front and rear wings seem very un-professional
The hood also appears homemade & poorly designed - which manufacturer would have such a miniscule rear window ??
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2539 Posts

Posted - 01/01/2020 :  16:47:01  Show Profile
I'm absolutely convinced it is an SS.

Here is a car from the site John linked to:

Compare with the original:

Look at the lines of the tank and rear wing. Look at the tail lamps; looks like ET's head! The line of the front wing. Two rows of louvres on each bonnet top panel and finally look at the step in the the line of the bottom ends of the louvres on the side panel of the bonnet.

I wonder if it's the product of a Continental coach builder. They produced, to my eyes, some rather strange looking confections on MG chassis. I doubt if it was only MG!

Dave
Go to Top of Page

Gideon

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2020 :  05:16:04  Show Profile
Thank you John. I remain in two minds.... whilst there is a lot of it that is SS100, there are other bits that suggest otherwise. I shall contact a couple of people I know and the clubs (as per your suggestion). Happy new year.
quote:
Originally posted by JCB

Gideon and forum:

I enclose a link to a website that shows various SS Jaguar models photographs. Nothing that matches your photograph.

https://www.google.com/search?q=ss+jaguar&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwj9vpGQ7eHmAhV8XhUIHam_Bh0Q7AkoAXoECA4QDQ&biw=1280&bih=578

After that if you feel you need more details a email to one of the various SS clubs might identify the car.
Happy New Year.

John Bakewell

Gideon
Go to Top of Page

Gideon

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2020 :  05:17:52  Show Profile
Thank you Phil. Whether it is a relative or not.....you have to love a well-manufactured pair of spats on a beautiful car.
Happy new year
quote:
Originally posted by Phil Standish

The one off SS100 FHC had spats. There is a photo on Zwakman Jaguar website where it is advertised for sale

Gideon
Go to Top of Page

Gideon

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2020 :  05:20:04  Show Profile
I get the impression that that rear window probably only served to allow a small amount of light into the car..... I have no idea what, if anything, could be seen through that challenging window

Happy new year
quote:
Originally posted by Colin Butchers

The owner obviously had little interest in what was happening behind him, nor for that matter what was going on on either side of him.
Colin B.

Gideon
Go to Top of Page

Gideon

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2020 :  05:20:49  Show Profile
Consensus seems to be suggesting that.
Happy new year John

quote:
Originally posted by Cooperman

Is it a SS 90/100 with a coach built body?

John Cooper M 628

Gideon
Go to Top of Page

Gideon

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2020 :  05:23:00  Show Profile
If you are right, the designer hopefully didn't include a reverse gear

quote:
Originally posted by tonym

My money is on it being a home built "bitsa"
The sharp angles to the front and rear wings seem very un-professional
The hood also appears homemade & poorly designed - which manufacturer would have such a miniscule rear window ??

Gideon
Go to Top of Page

Gideon

USA
47 Posts

Posted - 02/01/2020 :  05:31:52  Show Profile
If I were a betting man, I would probably put my money on it being a coach-built SS also. Thank you for highlighting those similarities!

Happy new year Dave

quote:
Originally posted by Oz34

I'm absolutely convinced it is an SS.

Here is a car from the site John linked to:

Compare with the original:

Look at the lines of the tank and rear wing. Look at the tail lamps; looks like ET's head! The line of the front wing. Two rows of louvres on each bonnet top panel and finally look at the step in the the line of the bottom ends of the louvres on the side panel of the bonnet.

I wonder if it's the product of a Continental coach builder. They produced, to my eyes, some rather strange looking confections on MG chassis. I doubt if it was only MG!

Dave

Gideon
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000