Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Help need quick!
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2008 :  10:15:49  Show Profile
My PA is now sitting in the sunshine of this lovely saturday morning with its rocker cover off having just checked the head studs ( all needed a tighten) Problem! How on earth do you reconnect the rev counter cable into the camshaft? It would seem that, *1 you have to put the cable into the rocker cover before you place it onto the head as there is no room to slide it back far enough once the cover is on the head. and *2 once the cover is in place with the cable inserted you still can't slide the cable back to try and fiddle the cable end into its slot. Help!!
Rodney

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2008 :  11:09:35  Show Profile
Rodney, its just a case of fiddling about, I think... make sure the slot in the camshaft and the flat end of the cable are at the same angle, pull the sleeve back a bit and then try to insert the cable into the slot; Then once it is in, push the sleeve into place and do up the nut. I don't know of an easier way, but someone else may come up with one!

Good Luck

Graham
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2008 :  12:23:34  Show Profile
Done it! don't now how but what ever I did it worked, only took 2 hours!!! Thanks for the tips Graham.

Rodney
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2008 :  17:23:34  Show Profile
Rodney

Two hours to do a five minute job???

That's very good. They usually take all day and very often most of the next day as well.

Good to hear that you are finding time to enjoy yourself.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2008 :  20:21:28  Show Profile
This can be a very fiddly task. It is made a lot easier by filing a 'lead' chamfer on the spade fitting on the end of the cable
Go to Top of Page

john wells

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2008 :  12:28:39  Show Profile
The simple way to do this is to have the engine turning over whilst inserting the cable into the camshaft. Works for me every time.
Cheers John.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Clare

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2008 :  12:45:17  Show Profile
Just a couple of points for others with this problem - first, a good number of the flats on newly supplied cables seem to be slightly oversize for the slot in the cam fitting, so check first before wasting days of fruitless back-ache.

Secondly, I always fit an oversleave onto the slotted end of the cam fitting so you get a tube that it is very near (not touching of course) the inside of the cover mounting. This ensures that you at least get the wretched toungue somewhere very close to the horizontal and don't end up with it jammed somewhere inside - which leads to great difficulty in getting the cover off again and often a ruined new cable.

Finally, I'm a bit puzzled about why you can't withdraw the cable far enough to feed in the tounged end with the cam over fitted on the head. If you take the firewall grommet out, feed the cable through that and then push the cable through the hole in the firewall, you'll have plenty of back & forth movement. I agree that re-fitting the grommet can be a pain especially on the N Type and others, where the footwell is boxed in, but for the Ps it should be easier.

Bob Clare
PA, NB and bar (it's nearly 1pm)
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
874 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2008 :  13:58:09  Show Profile
Rodney,
I must confess, that I also sometimes have unexpected difficulties in inserting the end of the revcounter cable into the rear of the camshaft. Often it helps to go with the head under the dashboard, and have a look with the help of a torch, in which angle the position of the adaptor-slot at the rear-end of the camshaft is standing.
You also should check whilst looking from under the dashboard, that this revcounter drive adaptor at the rear end of the camshaft is totally level with the threaded union on the valve cover. This you can achieve chosing the proper thickness of your valvecover gasket.
That will considerably lengthen the life of your cable.
Whilst inserting the cable into the cam, you also can disconnect the cable at the revcounter side, and help to thread the tongue into the adaptor by turning the cable with the fingers. Hereby you also can make sure by feeling, if you got it in, or not.
Gerhard
Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  10:40:30  Show Profile
I normally do this by spinning the engine over (ignition off) on the starter - then gently pushing the cable into place.
I normally also leave the rocker cover loose on the studs until the cable is in place and then tighten everything up afterwards.
Leaving the rocker cover loose just gives a little more flexability.

However it is vital to have the fork end on the camshaft covered with a tube to prevent the ruddy thing slipping off as quickly as you can get the thing in place.

Gerhard's idea is pretty good - as it does not require you to have three hands!

I think that the original fitting of the cable was done by the standard six armed 3 metre tall double jointed person with very small hands and the ability to lift and hold 250 kg for long periods of time which are pretty standard in all car factories even to this day!
Otherwise - How els did they do the *&%$dy job?

All the best David
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  19:32:30  Show Profile
Thanks guys,I must say I was getting close to pulling hair ( not mine I must add), however I took the gromit out of the fire wall so I had more play to work with, put the rocker cove on lose lined up the end of the cable to the angle I thouth the slot was and bugger me it went stright in ( as the actriss said to the bishop!)I must say I was mighterly releived, I thought I was going to be all weekend. I hope I don't have to check my head studs too often!

Rodney
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000