Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Oil leak
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2008 :  15:38:17  Show Profile
Ever since my rebuild I have suffered an annoying oil leak from the oil pressure gage (warm oil is not appreciated when dripping into a passangers lap)! I have had the gage out several times replacing the cork washer but to no avail.The oil seems to come out of the thread on the nut where the pipe goes in rather than the joint, i.e the front of the nut. I was wondering weathe to try some PTFE tape on the thread. Any ideas?
Rodney

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2008 :  17:16:54  Show Profile
Rodney

I use a fibre washer, rather than cork, between the pipe and the oil pressure gauge.

PTFE tape is not really the answer as the threads are not designed to be oil tight. The nuts role is just to hold the end of the pipe firmly against the gauge. You need to prevent the oil escaping from between the end of the pipe and the gauge, if that indeed is the problem. Are the two faces in good condition ie no nicks or other damage?

Peter
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2008 :  17:20:50  Show Profile
Rodney,

I suspect your gauge has a 'tit' sticking out of the centre of the thread where the pipe connects, has you pipe union got a corresponding recess?

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2008 :  20:17:50  Show Profile
In an emergency you can make replacement fibre sealing washers from thr plastic milk bottles you buy from the local supermarket.

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2008 :  20:19:25  Show Profile
I had a similar case once. The problem was that the nut was tightening on the thread before the fitting was fully tight on the fibre washer. Either use a thicker washer, or 2 washers.
Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  17:02:37  Show Profile
Have a look at the nut itself.

I had a similar leak on the NA a few years ago and the nut had split.

Regards David
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  19:14:06  Show Profile
Lots of good tips there, I will have to wait untill Saturday before I can check out if any of your tips cure the problem, I will of course let you know how I get on. ( O to be retired!!)
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  23:04:56  Show Profile
The information that the oil is warm indicates quite a fulsome leak, since the oil at the gauge end of the pipe is normally non-circulating and remains coolish, warmed only by conduction.

Isn't this a bit low-level for the forum? Fixing a union leak belongs to the elementary end of owning a MMM. Or have all the knotty problems been solved?
Go to Top of Page

Bob Clare

United Kingdom
278 Posts

Posted - 03/03/2008 :  23:43:12  Show Profile
Low level - LOW LEVEL!!!? Crikey Bob, not all of us are professional autoengineers with long Triple-M histories. Some of us, like me, are amateurs (I'm a microbiologist for all love), ignorant, cack-handed and REALLY NEED HELP!

Surely the Forum is for us not you?

Bob Clare
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  08:39:44  Show Profile
Actually, I'd disagree with both the last 2 postings. The Forum is for everybody.

Personally, I am always happy to pass on any knowledge I may have acquired on even the simplest of issues and I would hope that is the general spirit of the forum.
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3678 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  09:01:41  Show Profile
Andrew: "Hear Hear!"

Regards
Dick Morbey, PA/B 0743
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  09:45:41  Show Profile
Bob,

Cack-handed? - you do yourself an injustice. Having seen the immaculate gearlevers (and no doubt there are other examples) you have turned from the solid to fit perfectly into a rebushed remote, you are at least a gifted amateur and more probably renaissance man!

John R
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  10:11:06  Show Profile
I recently neded some constructional details and measurements to help with the M Type rebuild. Put a posting on the forum and hey presto I have my answers. It's more responses we need irrespective of how simple the query is.

Cheers

Jan T

p.s. thanks to Steve and Rich for their prompt replies.
Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2008 :  11:36:12  Show Profile
Even the most accomplised of us make misnakes!

The forum is surely for those who are not sure to bounce ideas off of others?

The advice given is based on experience - if I can help others avoid the mistake I have made - then that is good.

It is similar to a Noggin and Natter but without the beer.

We sometimes take things a little too seriously I think?

Regards David
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 05/03/2008 :  21:42:19  Show Profile
I would like to thank all the members of the T MMM register who have made the point that we are not all auto enginers. I have rebuilt my PA from a wreck to what in my mind is a good road worthy motor an a lot of fun. I have spent in excess of of ú40,000 (including buying the heap). I have no engineering skills what so ever. I am however in the top 5% of earners in the uk and in the top 3% in my chossen proffesion. I do not say this to brag, but just to point out that we all have skills in different areas. I am very good at what I do, and I guarentee Bob Stringfield could not do my job! I asked the question about my oil pessure gage because I had run out of ideas on how to cure the oil leak having had the union apart half a dozen times, after reading the posting by Bob Stringfield I felt that pehaps the T MMM regester was not what I had thought it was, i.e. a group of "friends" with the same passion and hobby, however I have had my faith in the register restored by the postings of others, and I hope that Bob understands that some of us are num nuts when it comes to auto engineering, but we still have the same passion, keeping these wonderfull little cars running, (wether we tune them or not)
Thanks again for the suggestions on curing the problem. I will be taking the union apart again at the weekend and hopfully finding the answer to the problem thanks to your suggestions, and thank you for the support of us auto engineering num nuts like me. Rodney
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000