Triple-M Register Forums
Triple-M Register Forums
Home | Cars for Sale | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 IN DEFENCE OF ORIGINALITY
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 26/03/2008 :  20:39:40  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by JMH

Kimber, is that a F*!D I spy in there? & Whats the story?

JMH

Well spotted. About 20 years ago I bought this car unseen based on a verbal description over the telephone. It had been advertised in Exchange & Mart for a few hundred pounds. I travelled 250 miles with a trailer and the cash to collect it from the seller in Consett, Co Durham. It was as decribed and the price fair.

It was a PA which had been made into a fairly ghastly special with Ford 10? engine and MG gearbox. I sourced many of the necessary bits to put it back to original and fitted a new body. I was not able to finish it off, but it did get restored properly by a subseuent owner and the car is on the Register, although I have forgotten the chassis and registration nos.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2008 :  10:59:38  Show Profile
Gordon, I queried the 'Colmore Clutch Stop' in 2006 but no replies were forthcoming. I am loath to tear the engine out to see if it is still there. Hence the search button would have found nothing.

At last, a query which has the membership collectively stumped!
Go to Top of Page

JMH

United Kingdom
915 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2008 :  18:27:46  Show Profile
Ah....The Colmore Clutch Stop, I thought everybody knew what one of those was!
Seriously though, I paged the oracle & am informed that it was a device which improved the speed of gearchanges from 1st to 2nd when using a zillion revs without waiting an age for the relative shaft speeds to come close enough to not risk breaking teeth. It was a mod which had particular benefit to the trials brigade. We discussed at length how it may have worked, but couldn't come up with any real agreement. The fact that nobody has ever seen one probably tells you all you need to know about how effective it was (no disrespect to Mr Colmore).

JMH

Edited by - JMH on 27/03/2008 18:40:16
Go to Top of Page

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 27/03/2008 :  21:11:27  Show Profile
When I worked for Rolls-Royce Diesel division I came across gearboxes which had Clutch Stops fitted. As far as I can remember they were brake pads which contacted the flywheel/clutch cover when the clutch was fully depressed to slow the engine quicker, which fits in with what JMH says.

Maurice Blakey.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 28/03/2008 :  09:13:14  Show Profile
The principles of the clutch stop are straightforward. Every 1928 - 1932 Sunbeam motor cycle which I have owned has had two adjustable ones on the outside of the primary chain-case, the bike equivalent of the bell-housing.That particular make had a sliding-pinion 'crash' gearbox which was not easy to use at high revs.
It is the details of the 'Colmore' one, as fitted to MMM MGs, which remain elusive. The only suggestion so far is that there was an establishment called Colmore Garage which was active at the time and may have marketed the stop.

Bob.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register Forums © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000