Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Obsolete Forum?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page | Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 3

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 11/03/2008 :  12:56:41  Show Profile
How would this work? This is my "signature" in my profile and not just added to the reply.
Nick

Specialties: P-types & Electrics
Go to Top of Page

Oz34

United Kingdom
2538 Posts

Posted - 15/03/2008 :  19:17:44  Show Profile
As a newcomer and one who has contibuted nothing so far I'd like to say I find this forum great as it is. Well done Nick, John & whoever else is involved.

As far as Tony Margel's comment on models, Nick the trouble with puting this info on your profile surely is that it's necessary to click on the profile in order to find out the interest. Not difficult I know! If on the other hand, as a PA owner, I title my question e.g. "PA rear springs" it's immediatetly apparent what my interest is without even opening it. Many people seem to do this already & if no model is mentioned perhaps the convention could be that the info applies to several types or even all cars?

Cheers,

Dave
Go to Top of Page

rbm

United Kingdom
141 Posts

Posted - 18/03/2008 :  16:12:13  Show Profile
I tend to only flick on here now and again (only due to to many projects - and not enough hours) but as a member of the VSCC all I would like to say is please please please don't let us go the way of the VSCC, the forum there used to be like this but a tad busier - now it is mostly people having slanging matches.

Richard
Go to Top of Page

tapope

USA
18 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2008 :  03:58:12  Show Profile
This is an excellent forum: concise, polite, and sticking to the business at hand. Please continue it. Other forums get too caught up in unnecessary banter - The recent TABC non-BC steering box rant, for example... and the more mindless rants that find there way into the jag-lover's eType forum. This is a great forum and a great group of participants. My ONLY regret is that my '31 M is STILL in storage awaiting time and space for me to start using the archived knowledge of this forum to get it back on the road!!!
Regards, Tom

Tom Pope
1931 Midget
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2008 :  08:07:24  Show Profile
I absolutely agree with the last 2 posts.

I'm so glad that we don't have rants and bad behaviour. I think that is partly due to very effective control by the Moderator. There have been a couple of moments when things could have escalated but they were 'nipped in the bud'.

Richard, you are so right about the VSCC site. The difference in feel between the two is extraordinary. I have stopped trying to understand the reason why the VSCC forum has become that way.

No, we set a fine example and long may it continue.

Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2008 :  12:46:52  Show Profile
One of the problems which the usually excellent VSCC has is the conflicting sub-groupings within the club, some members of which are inclined to print long lectures.

These might include:

'Pre-1930 cars only should be in the club';

'Only expensive/prestige cars worthwhile';

'Modern Replicas of prestige cars should (or should not) be accepted;

'Extend the PVT list (that's us) to include all pre-1940 cars';

'Restrict the PVT list to 'quality (probably not us) sports cars';

' The VSCC is about racing: road cars are a waste of time';

'The Preservation lobby', opposed, of course, by the 'Builders of cut and shut specials'

'The reverse of the above;

The' We regret the inclusion of A7 / MG and the like';

'Buffers of all ages who like to tell everyone what to do and how to vote';

And others, of course. The MMM movement also contains some of these groupings, as you can see, but so far, so good. Whether MMM people would pay VSCC fees for their two excellent Bulletins and their Forum facilities is open to question.

As the old buffer who started this, I still hold to the view that this Forum - the electronic medium itself - is obsolete because of the information restrictions which it places on our interchange of information. No photos or any other visual input is so 1990s.

As I said, the cars are not inferior: sadly, this Forum is.

Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2008 :  15:57:08  Show Profile
Bob

I am sorry but at the risk of having a rant - you are missing the point.

The forum IS a free exchange of information and by the postings on this particular subject you appear to be in a minority here.

There is a way to exchange photos and other information at present by e-mail - or by links to You Tube or FlickR.

I am sorry you feel this way about the forum - I have only started posting myself in the last few months and that was because I felt my input was both usefull and valuable to some.
Sure there is some bad in with the good - some caused by a lack of sense of humour and others by ineptitude (myself included at times I warrant you).

Nick has indeed posted on this subject and pointed out that there are limitations to the changes you suggest within the software used.

I have some limited experience in web page design from my own work and I can tell you that changing things is never as simple as we might require it to be.

If you have some expertise to offer the register please do so - I am sure that the committee will be most gratefull - but remember this is a register run by volunteers - not a business run by full time profesionals (as with the VSCC) and even they get things wrong sometimes.

None of us are perfect but this forum is a pretty good - frank and usefull exchange of informaton.

That is the end of my rant -
Regards David
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2008 :  16:47:36  Show Profile
Bob the only thing I agree with you about is the VSCC. There has been so much rubbish in the bulletin and on their forum that I have given up membership. I know a lot of other people have done the same.
I agree with Davids comments and cannot understand what you hope to achieve by continuing to knock this web site. I know changes are in hand to the site and no doubt it will continue to develop in the future. The conscensus is that it serves its purpose well so Nick why not wield your power and put a stop to this negative critisism?
Lets get on with doing what this forum does well which is helping, supporting and providing information and technical guidance for owners of Triple M cars.

Terry Holden

Edited by - tholden on 20/03/2008 16:54:13
Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2008 :  16:54:34  Show Profile
Well said Terry!

Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2008 :  17:54:21  Show Profile
David, Terry - I'm totally with you. I think that the crap on the VSCC forum is a tragedy. A lot of toys have been thrown out of many prams and duelling hand bags are a frequent occurrence. We want none of that and if Nick continues to exercise the fine degree of judgement, we needn't be troubled by it. I don't see any value in regurgitating a list of that tripe on here. Sorry, Bob, let's not go there.
Many of my closest friends are Triple-M people whom I have known for 30+ years. In general, I have only met like-minded people through a Triple M association. I know relatively few people in the VSCC although I have been a member for many years. I have been quite shocked at some of the un-pleasantness on their website and the bonhomie of the Triple M forum is totally refreshing by comparison. No, leave well alone as has already been said. The photo thing is a very minor criticism and there is a simple work-around.

I hope that doesn't constitite a rant.

Edited by - kimber on 20/03/2008 17:55:33
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2008 :  19:29:16  Show Profile
I agree with all the comments made by David, Andrew, and others, This forum is wity at times, very informative and help morons like me who have no auto skills keep our pride and joy running. I also belong to the VSCC but never visit their forum as I found the threads tend to be of very little interest to me. I also belong the the Porsche owners club, their forum tends to be made up of owners congratulating them selves on their new 911 with all its bells and whistles, and discussing which model is best, and what colour should I buy, by the way should I have a rear wiper to my fitted to my new Cayman or go for the twin exhaust! The T MMM forum is excellent and |I for one would be sorely disapointed if it changed.
Rodney PS I still havent had a chance to pull out my leaky oil pressure gage. maybe this weekend! I think that was the question that got Bob going on this thread.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2008 :  20:39:00  Show Profile
I thought that I should let everyone know, as Kimber has mentioned the subject again above, that the Triple-M website was discussed at our committee meeting on Sunday and I am afraid I have to tell you that we will not be allowing pictures to be posted on the forum. There are several reasons for this decision, the main one is that with the Snitz software that is used for the forum it would be easy for some unscrupulous person (not a Triple-M owner of course) to plant a virus on the site.

We are however going to encourage members to post pictures, drawings diagrams etc on free picture sharing sites as Kimber and others have done several times in the past on æflickr.comÆ

If you want to see the end result use the forum search facility and search ôflickr.comö

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2008 :  22:18:42  Show Profile
I thought it might be useful to offer a quick tutorial to anyone wishing to show pictures but does not know how to set up the link.

Firstly, you need to acquire some webspace to store your image(s). I personally use Flickr.com. Photobucket is another and I am sure there are numerous others. The service is generally free. You will need to register with the chosen host which should be a very simple process.

The next step is to upload the image(s). There is normally a 'browse' button on the host site which enables you to locate the image(s) on your computer and then an 'upload' button.

Once the image has been uploaded you need to establish the 'URL' (web address) for that image. The easiest method is to right click on the image which will bring up a pane and the bottom category should be 'Properties'. The URL is listed after this and will be a long list of letters, numbers and symbols e.g.

blahblahblahfarm3.static.flickr.com/2392/2333952846_6c0c72fbe4_s.jpg

Hold down left mouse button and and drag the cursor over the URL to highlight it. Then press CTRL and C simultaneously to 'copy' it. (It is important that you copy it exactly).

Now go to the Triple M Register Forum 'reply' pane and type your post. At the point where you want the photo link to appear, click on the 'Hyperlink' icon at the top (which is a globe symbol with a chain link, just to the right of HR). This will add the letters URL in square brackets (twice, the second one with a slash) to the text you have typed: -

Now position (left click) the cursor in between the central brackets
][ and press CTRL and V simultaneously. The address should now appear in the middle.

And that's it.

When you post your reply, the link will change from blue to red when the cursor is above it and when clicked on your photo should appear.

Apologies to accomplished egg-sucking grandmothers everywhere.

Edited by - kimber on 21/03/2008 07:19:32
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2008 :  23:33:09  Show Profile
I have just signed up with photobucket.com which was very easy. I have just uploaded my first picture, well it is not a picture as such so if you want to know what it is look here:-
http://i297.photobucket.com/albums/mm239/Magnette1933/Triple-MLogo.jpg
I hope that members will now post pictures, drawings and diagrams as part of the questions and likewise people will use them in their answers.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 20/03/2008 :  23:39:48  Show Profile
Bob,

I think you are in a minority. I'm with David, Andrew, Terry, Rodney etc. Information restrictions? - don't agree. If you mean photos, Kimber has explained an easy way to link to a host.

"Merci de ne pas tirer sur le pianiste. Il fait de son mieux".

John R

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 3 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page | Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000