Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 All electric Midget
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6119 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2020 :  13:49:36  Show Profile
I had hoped to find room in the Yearbook for an article on this gas conversion for a J2 done in the late 50s but as I have a full Yearbook for 2019 I’ll just share this picture which I got from Sam Christie.

The car is J3367 and is now registered as OSL 837 with Register number 3074. Sam may be able to add more info.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 29/02/2020 :  16:58:07  Show Profile
You beat me to it, Onno. The one thing that "Foz" didn't mention was methanol, which he more than most of us has actual experience of using. Many MMM cars in the thirties either ran on pure methanol or an alcohol/petrol blend and it has been described to me as "a very gentle" form of fuel - certainly not a ferocious mixture like nitro-methane which the fastest sprinters use. All that is needed is new jets and needles, and perhaps a fuel tank of twice the capacity of the present ones. Wouldn't do the Brazilian rain forests much good however.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2020 :  11:20:25  Show Profile
Like Simon I'll own up to being of a certain age and remembering going to school during the latter part of WW 2 in a bus with a gas balloon on the roof and towing the fire that produced the coal gas behind it.

Can't see this catching on with the Triple-M fraternity but like Colin I do like the idea of methanol

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Nick Dean

United Kingdom
444 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2020 :  20:33:44  Show Profile
Of coarse if you fancy running on Methanol, don't forget to drain tank after use, or all your pipes and carb will be gummed up. Just a thought after you have run home from your local natter on a cold night.
Nick.

N A Dean
Go to Top of Page

geoffw

Australia
106 Posts

Posted - 01/03/2020 :  22:29:09  Show Profile
An electric MGB I saw in Portland, Oregon back in 2011

Geoff

Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1935 Posts

Posted - 02/03/2020 :  11:53:03  Show Profile
In an attempt to be switched on and plugged in to modern trends, I am reducing my carbon footprint by ensuring that I only walk on sustainable natural rubber soles, eat eggs from battery chickens and have migrated to hybrid vegetables such as kalettes.
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1935 Posts

Posted - 04/03/2020 :  14:48:44  Show Profile
Alcohol is definitely the way; I scaled it up a bit from the book!

Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000