Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Ewan Harris
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2020 :  14:31:31  Show Profile
It is with deep regret that I have to tell you that Ewan Harris from Crediton in Devon, passed away this morning, 24 April as a result of Motor Neurone Disease.
Ewan had owned the car in the 1960s and when he went away to sea his Mother sold the car!
Much later after he had returned he bought the car back again!
After I had met him in the 1980s he once told me that 'the only thing hold the body work together were the weevils holding hands!!'
He later had an accident with the car when a 'bus hit the rear and the whole of the body was then rebuilt!
He competed in many hill climbs and speed events at Wiscombe and Colerne, both with the MGCC and the VSCC.
He more recently went on many Triple M weekends both with his wife Mary and on other occasions with other navigators.
A long time member and character of the MGCC and VSCC

Wiscombe September 1988

Mike Dalby

Mike the M

United Kingdom
481 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2020 :  14:34:02  Show Profile
Sorry - Wiscombe 1987

Mike Dalby
Go to Top of Page

PeterL

United Kingdom
1723 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2020 :  15:52:29  Show Profile
So sorry to hear... A lovely chap and the sweetest sounding F Type engine I ever heard...

P
Go to Top of Page

Centric

United Kingdom
140 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2020 :  17:05:17  Show Profile
Such sad news. Ewan was one of the good guys. His F was definitely "Comme il Faut." Delightfully patinated but always running perfectly. I can still see him in my mind's eye driving up Wiscombe dressed in sports jacket and baggy grey flannels. Happy days, we shall all miss you.
Go to Top of Page

Malcolm Bailey

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 24/04/2020 :  23:02:24  Show Profile
I’m sorry to hear about Ewan. I navigated for him on the Kernow Wheals Run in 2017. A delightful man and car. I was fascinated by the car’s water temperature control system where the hotter the water got the faster the fan worked. Not I think an MG system, but very effective on the Cornish hills.
He was, as Mike says, a great character.
Go to Top of Page

Colin Butchers

United Kingdom
1487 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2020 :  10:27:28  Show Profile
Very sorry to read of Ewan's passing. Although we lived at opposite corners of the country, we usually met up for a chat at Wiscombe Park, carrying on conversations from the previous years. He was very innovative -especially with electrical matters, and I feel sure that the variable speed device for the F Type's cooling fan, would have been of his own design. Another "tweak" which always impressed me was the fitting of softer brake linings to the upper brake shoe with a harder material being used for the lower ones, to compensate for the "wrapping" effect of the single leading shoe design used on the standard MMM models. My last memory of Ewan was on the return journey from St. Ives after the "Kernow Wheals" event, when the convoy of Triple M cars was caught in a torrential thunderstorm just east of Bodmin, I was in a "modern" and I gradually overtook the oldies one by one and at the head of the convoy was Ewan in the F Type- no hood and with a slow acting windscreen wipers. He must have been soaked to the skin, but despite the discomfort he was keeping up a very respectable speed.

Rest in peace, old chum.

Colin B.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000