Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 ENV GEARBOX Problems
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Ross Kelly

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2008 :  14:14:43  Show Profile
Help, I have registered L0638 for first time since being found on tip in 1960, I am having trouble with ENV pre selector gearbox slipping in first gear and have tried adjusting, any suggestions appreciated.

thanks

ross kelly
grkelly@bigpond.net.au

ross
tight lines and corners

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2008 :  08:46:48  Show Profile
The procedure is in Blower - but it is important to follow the directions carefully.

At the risk of teaching grandma to suck eggs - if you have already tried this I am sorry it is time for proffesional help (Phil Brady is the best for pre-selectors in the OZ).

Most people think that by tightening the bands that they have adjusted the box - this is not the case.
Blower advises loosening the bands off - then re-adjusting from that position - the procedure is laborious but the gearbox lasts much longer than if you try to over tighten the bands.

Make sure the oil in the box is clean.

Cant really be much help at this distance - certainly when we put the NA back on the road last year after a 3 year lay off I initially had problems with 2 gears slipping on initial pick up.
Dad gave me the relevant pages (also re-printed in Six Cylinder Sports Cars - Malcom Green) from Blower and after a few mins of fiddling the car was back to its snappy old self again.

In the case of both gears - I actually backed the bands off before I could adjust them correctly.

It is vital too that the wedges are making contact with the auto-adjusters - there are no short cuts I am afraid and lots of gear change pedal pumping to do (1st gear needed about 30 pumps before the gear band started to act properly).

Hope this helps
Rgerads David
Go to Top of Page

Ross Kelly

Australia
227 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2008 :  13:34:42  Show Profile
David,

thanks for the info, will give it a go, the mechanic ability of this egg sucker could be writtem on a small postage stamp.

many thanks

ross

ross
tight lines and corners
Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2008 :  14:42:28  Show Profile
Give Phil Brady a call

Regards David
Go to Top of Page