Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Chassis lubrication pipes
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2008 :  20:16:34  Show Profile
I am about to refit pipes which have been stored coiled up in a box for 50 years. Is it desireable to aneal them before I begin and is this possible without the end fittings coming off.

Maurice Blakey.

ags

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 17/04/2008 :  22:49:28  Show Profile
Hi Cymber,

Having lived in South Wales for 40 years on and off, and being under the management of a Welsh speaking wife for 40 odd years, I really appreciate your punning user name!

The answers to your questions are yes and yes. I am sure that after fifty years the first of those pipes that you tried to uncoil would have expressed its displeasure by cracking. The end fittings are, or should be, silver soldered so that they can withstand close to red heat without coming apart. I am sure that you know the drill, but if not then start at one end with a blow torch and get a short length up to dull red and gradually move along at a reasonably slow pace. If you can manage it it is best to hang the pipes vertically to allow any old grease, which some kind previous owner has left in the pipes, to melt and flow out.

Have fun,

Andrew Smith MMM571
Go to Top of Page

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2008 :  20:47:33  Show Profile
Andrew,
Thankyou for your advise which reinforces what I felt was necessary.

My user name is our house name whih was created in the early sixties when I was using my PA as everyday transport and had recently discovered the delights of wales having moved to Shrewsbury from Derby. Unfortunately the car has been sleeping in my garage for forty years and I am now rebuilding it for the second time. At least I avoided having to post a for sale advert containing the words "marriage forces sale" which were very common at the time.

Maurice.
Go to Top of Page

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 22/04/2008 :  20:33:37  Show Profile
Having anealed the old pipes I am now in the process of fitting them. I have the white on black drawing foom the Moss catalogue and two drawings by Peter Down kindly supplied by Lew Palmer but none of these give sufficient detail about the clipping on the offside. Can anyone help please.

Maurice Blakey.
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2008 :  00:32:01  Show Profile
Maurice,

The offside clips are very much simpler than those on the near side. Generally, the lube pipes run in parallel with the petrol pipes and are captured in the center of the same clips. I have a diagram on the Airline Coupe website at http://www.roundaboutmanor.com/airline/ar_eng.htm

It's mainly focused on the petrol pipes, but studied carefully, you can discern the details of the oil pipes, as well.

Cheers,

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2008 :  20:42:34  Show Profile
Paul
Yes I have, that was the easy bit,air pressure and the hot air paint stripper soon cleared them, followed by flushing with parrafin.

Maurice Blakey.
Go to Top of Page

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 24/05/2008 :  20:27:58  Show Profile
The last of several helpfull E-mails I had from the sadly late Mike Ellis only a few days before he died refered me to drawings showing the layout of the fuel and lubrication pipes along the right hand chassis rail of a P Type. The drawings are in the books :- The Art of Abingdon and The Magic of MG, he quoted page numbers but I have accidentally deleted the E mail. As I do not have access to either of these books would it be possible for one of you to provide me with copies please, assuming that these are not the drawings used in the Moss and S & V catalogues which I already have.

I now have the photo from The Art of Abingdon.

Maurice Blakey.

Edited by - Cymber on 25/05/2008 10:49:00
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000