Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 M-type Hood Photographs
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sam christie

United Kingdom
3104 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2008 :  00:54:13  Show Profile
I would like to check the details of the hood fitted to the fabric bodied M-type. Apart from a rear view of an M-type 'MG 1930' in The Magic of the Marque there seem to be few photographs showing the raised hood and especially the back window.

Has anyone spotted any clear period photographs(especially 1930)showing the hood in general and the rear window in particular?

Sam

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2008 :  06:50:55  Show Profile
Here's a pic of my father's first car in 1937. Probably the original hood. Unfortunatly the rear window is not visible but it might otherwise be of some use to you.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3074/2422808052_87bbbd4a8d.jpg?v=0
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3104 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2008 :  09:51:22  Show Profile
Andew,

The picture is very useful and very much appreciated.The hood looks like one in the line of M-types in the rain on page 18 of M.G.Roadcars Volume One . It looks like hoods were finished with a piped edge which seemed in general to match the body fabric.

Have you any idea when your father's car was first registered ?

Sam
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3104 Posts

Posted - 18/04/2008 :  23:08:31  Show Profile
More interesting pictures, thanks Dennis - I would love to see some of them in higher resolution to look at other details. I am still keen to confirm that the rear window as seen in The Magic of the Marque was the standard design.

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 19/04/2008 :  19:49:41  Show Profile
Sam,

On page 78 of MG By McComb a photo, in what looks like the service bay at the factory, appears to confirm the shape of the rear window of the photo you mention. At least through my eyes and a jeweler loop. It shows two hoods partially raised.

Dennis,
I spent TOO much time on your web site this morning. Very enjoyable.

Brian.
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3104 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2008 :  10:19:33  Show Profile
Thanks Brian,
I had forgotten about this picture.The nearest car with the hood up still has its 'running in' stickers on the windscreen suggesting it is brand new or nearly new. It confirms a curved rectangular window with the top and bottom edges curving down (as in The Magic of the Marque)towards the outside rather than simple horizontals.It has been observed that the window shape echoes the line of the top of the boot lid.

The evidence now seems very clear but another picture like this or (unlikely) a surviving original hood would 'make certain sure'.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 20/04/2008 15:48:56
Go to Top of Page

poulsendk

Denmark
270 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2008 :  16:51:01  Show Profile
You can see a M type with hood from rear
www.mgcars.org.uk pics
J°rgen

MGM 1930 MGM 1931 TA 1938
Go to Top of Page

Brian Kelly

USA
526 Posts

Posted - 20/04/2008 :  19:39:18  Show Profile
Sam,

Having further pondered over the two photos in question I'm throwing in the spanner by suggesting:

MG 1930 reg car. I believe the rear window, on closer inspection, is reflecting sky, trees etc. The curves you mention could be dark reflections.

The other photo with the hoods partially raised and the fabric not being taut, is causing the fabric to fold, I assume.

The third car in the bay is registered, UA ?662, the fourth car is also registered, albeit unclearly.

Let me know when I can get my spanner back.

Brian.
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3104 Posts

Posted - 21/04/2008 :  02:45:34  Show Profile
Brian,
The Magic of the Marque picture is ambiguous because it is a dark print and I too wondered if I was seeing shadow or shape. Then I received a copy off line scanned from 'The Golden Age of British Motoring'(The ISBN is 1-85648-315-0) and it all became clear in a much better brighter higher resolution version of the same photograph. But I am still very keen to see any further 1930's photos of original hoods.

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 21/04/2008 10:19:05
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000