Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Restarting restoration after 40 years
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

amott

United Kingdom
18 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2020 :  12:31:13  Show Profile
Finally decided that it is time PA0957's restoration was completed. Having not touched the car since the early 80's.
Sadly my two MG confidants/friends Graham Arrondell and Terry Andrews are no longer with us. Therefore I am hoping I can get some advice and guidance here on the forum rather like the old infoletters of the 60,s and 70's.
I first took the car in lieu of a debt of £12 back in the 1960's it had a Ford engine in then. I replaced Ford 10 engine with a highly tuned Ford 1172 engine and used it in the 70,s it really flew with that engine.
I then acquired a PA engine and decided to initially restore the mechanics. so all chassis, brakes, engine and gearbox all done. and thats as far as I got. Work and life took over and the car has languished in the garage ever since!
40 years of dust and some damp and the bright metal and paint looks very sad.
I did make a start on the body work and repaid parts of the Ash frame but could not work out until now why the drivers door never fitted properly. I now discover that it had been badly repaired probably in the 50s and the Ash repair sections were made to fit a new door in aluminium they made rather than a standard door.When I bought a standard from the Bones in Greenwich it did not fit properly.
I intend to rebuild as much of the original car as possible (I am not a great fan of replacing everything).
So my first request is to anyone who may have an old P type two seater body tub left over after fitting a new body please let me know as I would be interested in buying providing the drivers door surround timbers are salvageable or ok for patterns.
I have not found any supplier who can supply the individual timber sections only complete tubs.
I look forward to any replies.
I have some picture of 60s and 70s events I will try and post.

coracle

United Kingdom
1939 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2020 :  13:02:55  Show Profile
ANDY KING bought up the patterns and tooling for MMM ash framed bodies when Rique Llinares retired some years ago. He might be able to help.
You can find Andy through the home page - links -suppliers in this website.
Go to Top of Page

bloodysalmon

Spain
1482 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2020 :  13:41:47  Show Profile
may be worth a chat with Andy Denton, Selby, Yorkshire, makes primarily T-type pieces but I know he's also up do Triple-M body and parts

Chris Blood
D-type Salonette D0407,
TC1472 TC2686 TC4245
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 06/08/2020 :  14:01:48  Show Profile
Hi Adrian

Welcome to the Forum, you have certainly come to the right place! You will soon find there is an amazing amount of expertise and advice amongst the many owners who use this Forum.

I hope your planned restoration of the PA goes to plan.

George
L2023.

Edited by - George Eagle on 06/08/2020 14:02:43
Go to Top of Page

Fido

United Kingdom
31 Posts

Posted - 07/08/2020 :  15:55:29  Show Profile
Richard Hardy (Vintage MG Parts) has a number of ash kits for P & J Types and I'm pretty sure he will be able to help you.
ATB, Jeff

Fido
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000