Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Fuel reserve change over taps
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gordon

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2008 :  13:34:36  Show Profile
Can anyone tell me whether originally the nipple end on the two pipes from the fuel tank are formed by a flaring tool or are they soldered on nipples? On my PB I have one of each! The soldered on nipple had a very thin wall to accomodate the 5/16" fuel pipes and had failed allowing air to be sucked in but not bad enough to leak fuel!

Gordon

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2008 :  15:02:44  Show Profile
Gordon,

As far as I know they were originally flared ends not soldered nipples.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 19/05/2008 :  23:54:36  Show Profile
I agree with Peter. On my PB, all of the original petrol pipes were plared - but with a very distictive pointed cone shape - very similar to the shape of the soldered nipples.

Anyone know where one can find a flaring tool to make that rather unique shape?

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2008 :  12:16:16  Show Profile
Lew I dont know whether the PB pipes were made in the same way as the J ones but on those they used what appears to be a special pressed on type of nipple. I have in my hand an original J tank to tap pipe and the ends are not flared but have this nipple shaped fitting on the end which appears to have been pressed into position possibly by a special tool. It is definately a separate piece from the pipe because you can see and feel the pipe end inside the fitting.Between the back of the nipple fitting and the inside lip of the nut is a brass sealing ring about 1/16 inch deep.
If you would like me to try and take a photo of this and E mail to you let me know.
On my car I have replaced these pipes using soldered on nipples.

TH
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2008 :  12:24:48  Show Profile
Mine were the same, the soldered-on nipples are the closest to the original system and enables the use of the original tank unions.
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3243 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2008 :  12:44:28  Show Profile
Terry, That's what I meant by a "special flare". The end of the pipe looks like one of the soldered-on nipples only it is pressed into the pipe itself. And yes, it has the brass sealing ring between the flared end and the nut. All of the original fuel lines had these ends. I only wish I could find such a "flaring" tool. And, all of these original pipes were flash plated forward of the first union beneath the firewall. So both fuel pipes that were visible were so plated.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2008 :  15:29:27  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by bahnisch

Mine were the same, the soldered-on nipples are the closest to the original system and enables the use of the original tank unions.

.....or you could use an olive. Not for the purist of course.

Peter
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000