Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 J2/P Type Hood Frames
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2020 :  08:33:45  Show Profile
I have had my PB for some years and am finally getting around to organising the weather gear.

The hood frame that I had assumed was P type does not conform with the measurements that are readily available on our Forum, most of them are OK but the vital width dimensions do not, therefore I am begining to wonder if my Hood frame is for a J2?

It has been repaired in the past and so may vaty slightly from the original.

I cannot find a diagram of a J2 hood frame and therefore would appreciate some guidance.

Russ
PB0333

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6168 Posts

Posted - 11/10/2020 :  22:23:30  Show Profile
Russ,
If it’s any help, I see that Barry Walker offers a hood frame which he appears to suggest is suitable for the narrow track two-seaters, i.e. J, L, F, and P. If that’s the case there shouldn’t be any difference in the width.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Roger Cadogan

United Kingdom
493 Posts

Posted - 12/10/2020 :  11:14:05  Show Profile
Hi Russ, I have unfitted hood frames for my cars J2 and PA and both would appear to be identical, I don't know if this helps or confuses the issue for you.

Regards.Roger.

Roger
Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2020 :  12:42:05  Show Profile
Hi Roger

On The contrary, your comment tells me that the hoods are the same for both cars and therefore my hoodframe has been "got at".

When my hood frame is erected it looks lopsided and on no matter what "adjustments" I have made I cannot make it look balanced and in the correct relationship with the side screens that I have mocked up.

Thanks for your input and interest.

Russ
PB0333

Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6168 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2020 :  13:22:40  Show Profile
Russ,
If it’s any help, my J2 frame is 35 1/2” wide where it fits into the pivot mounts on the wheel arches. There’d be a bit of flexibility in exactly where to screw the mounts so if yours is in and around 36” it should be ok.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1971 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2020 :  14:12:34  Show Profile
If it is any help I am long on hood frames; I am sure I can dig out a sound original P type one if you need it.
Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2020 :  10:30:13  Show Profile
I am still sorting my hood frame dilemma.

A good friend has given me a hood frame which has good "true" arched cross bars both of which are 36" wide.

My query is that the lower link to the car body on the "new" frame is a different shape to my existing P type frame.

The link on the left of my diagram is the "new" one and the right image is my existing link.

Question: which is correct for PB?

Regards to all

Russ
Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2020 :  10:37:49  Show Profile
Sorry, my diagram is side on.

Just another skill to learn.

Any advice gratefully recieved

Russ
Go to Top of Page

mgmog

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2020 :  10:49:04  Show Profile

Rich Stott
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6168 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2020 :  12:20:11  Show Profile
Russ,

My hood frame, which was supplied by S&V about seven years ago is like the one on the left in your drawing, i.e. with a slight curve but no distinct angle.

P.S. The two holes that are apparent are for the 2BA screws that I use to lock the frame in position when raised. It shouldn't need it if properly positioned but Bryan Purves was in too much of a hurry and didn't bother reading the instructions I had given him on how the hood should be positioned. In consequence it won't stay up without the two screws locking it in position

Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 20/10/2020 12:31:18
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1578 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2020 :  13:24:41  Show Profile
Russ,
The hood frame off my PB has the lower bracket which fits to the rear wheel-arch pivot to be the more cranked shape:

Hope this helps.

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1971 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2020 :  13:53:09  Show Profile
Late PA. No holes or locking screw required. Believed original:

Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6168 Posts

Posted - 20/10/2020 :  13:57:43  Show Profile
The locking screws are only needed when someone fits the frame incorrectly!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000