Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Exchanging parts
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tony Dolton

United Kingdom
372 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2020 :  16:08:20  Show Profile
We have parts for sale ,and parts wanted on the forum, but no parts for exchange, ( swop).
I have little success with parts wanted, no doubt it’s too much hassle for many members, searching in the loft and then organising p&p etc. Perhaps what’s needed is more incentive. I have quite a good stock of parts currently surplus to requirements, and quite a list of parts wanted. For example ,I need a PType Rocker box, I have an M type one and a J type one. I’ d be happy to swop, but I’m not selling as having the M and J may be the only way of securing a P type one without paying silly money.
I believe a new listing on the technical forum , “ parts for exchange” could be really useful. Anybody agree?
Still looking for P type gearbox chassis mounts !
Tony

coracle

United Kingdom
1940 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2020 :  16:28:12  Show Profile
I agree, a sound idea; having already swapped parts with Tony in the past having the same concerns re "silly money."
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2020 :  18:43:08  Show Profile
Great idea - perhaps our esteemed Webmaster Nick would be able to add one extra heading?

In days of yore the Exchange & Mart was the best source of good used spares and swopping parts was quite common practice.

George
L2023

Edited by - George Eagle on 22/10/2020 18:46:16
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2013 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2020 :  19:13:28  Show Profile

Hello, Tony.
A great suggestion which has my full support.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1503 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2020 :  20:30:29  Show Profile
I have very little to swap being very much a newcomer to the Triple-M world, but it does seem like a good idea to me :)

Colin Murrell
PA0786 (D0285 previously)
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

Andy Rogers

United Kingdom
302 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2020 :  23:59:07  Show Profile
Great idea.

Andy Rogers
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3379 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2020 :  14:47:38  Show Profile
I like the idea but should the parts wanted be limited to Triple-M car parts? How about tools, badges, collectables?
Should the parts available to swap be limited to Triple-M car parts?
Should a picture of the parts available to swap be required in the topic?
Should this forum be public as all the other forums are (with the exception of the MGCC members only forum)?
Any other thoughts?
The Committee will need to agree but it would be simple for me to set up.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

JCB

United Kingdom
384 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2020 :  15:04:13  Show Profile
Nick and Forum:

Start with Triple-M car parts with photos and see what else is required.
The MGCC members only forum has such a small following .
To my mind self defeating.
All the best.

John Bakewell
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1046 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2020 :  15:07:46  Show Profile
I see a lot of issues.

In the parts for sale we demand an asking price, in a exchange add you could only ask for another part.
This will inevitably open the gateway for people offering their parts as “exchange” who are unwilling to set an asking price.
People without the elusive asked part will make a big offer and it will get sold anyway, effectively killing the goal of the mandatory asking price.

Another big issue is that it puts young/starting triple M owners on the back foot.
I have a running car and a project, not stacks of parts gathered cheaply over the years.
So no chance to trade for me.

What is wrong with the current system?
If you want a part you can put up a wanted add with either money to be spent or an offer of parts to be traded.
Or you can sell your stash of parts first and than have a piggybank to spend on the needed parts.

Onno "J,D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Tony Dolton

United Kingdom
372 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2020 :  08:10:13  Show Profile
The whole point of a “swop” section is to avoid the sordid topic of money. Take my example of a rocker box . If I offer to sell my M and J boxes at some concocted price which may have no relation to actual value I am no nearer to acquiring a PType box. All I get is cash which I don’t need . My suggestion of a swop section is to provoke communication and get better access to the unwanted stock many members have.
Of course there are issues, I admit to having not thought it through, that’s for the committee to do if they wish to take it further.
Certainly MMM parts only . Must try and keep it simple. I would still use the “wanted” section as well.
Food for thought in these difficult times . Tony
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2013 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2020 :  08:27:03  Show Profile
Hello Forum.
Why not give the idea a ‘test run’ for let’s say 3 months and just see how it goes. Perhaps MMM parts only as a first step.
If it proves to be a flop the system can always be withdrawn after that period.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1940 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2020 :  09:42:58  Show Profile
I agree; let's "swap it and see."
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1046 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2020 :  13:45:49  Show Profile
What is stopping you to put in a wanted add with an offer of a swap instead of money?

Onno "J,D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1940 Posts

Posted - 24/10/2020 :  13:51:13  Show Profile
Nothing, thinking back, I addressed the exchange problem back in 2018 with the dual posts:

https://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=14139
and https://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=14140.

I did not end up exchanging but I did obtain a dynamo and I did sell a P Type remote thus the net result was satisfactory.

This illustrates Tony's point: "Perhaps what’s needed is more incentive." I did have an excess of P Type remotes and probably would not have bothered to dig them out, had I not had the requirement for a dynamo. There was the incentive to bring a remote to market that otherwise might have remained buried.

This, as Onno suggests, begs the question; do we actually need another heading or could exchanges be managed within the current set up?

To stray slightly from the strict topic, perhaps a modification to the parts wanted and parts for sale sections could be considered. At present parts sold and no longer available, although hopefully recorded as such, remain as "white noise" around items still for sale. The same is true for parts wanted. This means that any casual hunter within the Parts for sale section has a thicket of sold items to hack through in order to find anything that is actually available. What I believe tends to happen is that most of us rely on new postings to identify what is for sale and thus might miss something that is still available since we first viewed it, but did not require it at the time and have subsequently forgotten it.

To get around this some sellers regularly edit their posts to ensure the items are periodically brought to the attention of forum members.

Perhaps a modification could be considered so that when a part is no longer available the posting is moved to an items sold heading, thus leaving only items still available in the "Parts for sale" heading. A similar approach being applicable to the "Parts wanted" heading.

This would make the whole user experience less hasstle and un-met sales and wants much more easily identified. I do not however know how practical such a suggestion is within the framework of "Snitz Forums 2000"

What do people think?

Edited by - coracle on 24/10/2020 13:54:41
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000