Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 N type front trunnions boxes to buy or to copy?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Tim Luffingham

United Kingdom
342 Posts

Posted - 04/11/2020 :  16:30:53  Show Profile
Wanted two front trunnions boxes for an N type. If not available to buy does anyone have them to copy?

Many thanks

Tim

Edited by - Tim Luffingham on 09/11/2020 15:29:59

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 09/11/2020 :  21:56:29  Show Profile
When I restored my PA which had very worn trunnion boxes I bored them oversize and made oversize inserts. I'll give you the details if you have to go down that road.

Maurice.
Go to Top of Page

Tim Luffingham

United Kingdom
342 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2020 :  11:16:48  Show Profile
Maurice, that's kind of you and a good suggestion. Unfortunately I don't have the trunnion boxes to start with. They are missing form a barn find N type that I hope to restore.

To be honest I'm not sure if I am to copy whether these would be machined from a billet or cast. Does anyone have any thoughts?
Are the K type trunnion boxes an exact match I wonder?

Tim
Go to Top of Page

mgmog

United Kingdom
469 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2020 :  11:59:30  Show Profile
A search of the archives suggests Andy King has casting moulds to make the boxes, also Tom Dark has made some in the past ....

Rich Stott
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1970 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2020 :  12:53:08  Show Profile
Tim, Machining from billet would not really be practical as they are a complex shape.

I have a pair about to be bolted to a P chassis; I assume but am not sure that they are common to the N type. They were said by the vendor to have come from Tom Dark.

I suggest you talk to Tom but in the mean time I will not bolt mine to the chassis for now in case you need to borrow them.

Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2044 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2020 :  13:35:16  Show Profile

Tim and Nigel.

The P type ones are definitely too small . I got my K type ones from Ron Grant who made the patterns.I’ll check against the N type ones, but I have a feeling they are different.

Chris
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2044 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2020 :  14:02:36  Show Profile
Tim, further to above, I have checked the two boxes, very difficult to measure in situ, the spring width is the same but the two mounting bolts underneath are different lengths apart. Looks like 3.1/4” on the N type 3.1/2” on the K type. On the trunnion boxes there are five bolts on the side cover on the K type, four on the N type. I would be inclined to wait until some originals turn up.

Hope that is of some help.

Chris

Edited by - Westbury on 10/11/2020 14:04:18
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1970 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2020 :  16:10:05  Show Profile
Yes, the P ones are much smaller, only 2.5/8 bolt spacing; apologies for the false hope.

The photo's do however, give an idea of the complexity of shape that would make machining from solid quite a challenge.
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
948 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2020 :  16:16:43  Show Profile
It would not be an unreasonable piece for spark erosion machining.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3244 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2020 :  16:32:25  Show Profile
Hi Tim

The N boxes are unique to the N types and they have larger trunnion bearings than the 4 cylinder cars. Even the covers are different as strangely they have fewer bolts to secure them.

George
ex NA0960.
Go to Top of Page

Tim Luffingham

United Kingdom
342 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2020 :  17:39:24  Show Profile
Thanks all - very much appreciatd

You seem to echo the comments made in 2012 https://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=5693&SearchTerms=trunnion,boxes,casting
From what I can gather it seems K and N are different.
I'll continue the search for a pair to buy outright. To know of a pair that I could use to make a copy from would be a strong second option.

Very best

Tim
Go to Top of Page

Phil Standish

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 10/11/2020 :  19:37:40  Show Profile
Tim I have emailed you directly
Kind regards
Phil
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic