Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 Centrally mounted wiper arms and rods
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6164 Posts

Posted - 09/12/2020 :  19:40:32  Show Profile
Just to be clear, the wipers arms I have illustrated above are completely different to those fitted to the centrally mounted suction wiper - see https://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=18881 It is these that Willie Mackenzie will hopefully be reproducing.

Edit. George, L2004 had the strengthened windscreen.
Simon J
J3437

Edited by - Simon Johnston on 09/12/2020 19:44:32
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3243 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2020 :  16:48:16  Show Profile
Simon

Who can say when the switch from the earlier to the later J/L2 windscreen supports was made? I reckon the works might have used parts bins to assemble the cars, and during the process of switching could well have had bins containing both types of windscreens.

L2004 was part of a production run on 24th March 1933 - from chassis L2002 to L2010. 12 days later L2023 was part of a production run on 5th May 1933 - from chassis L2021 to L2032.

The factory file for L2023 does not contain much information but there is a worksheet which states:-
"22nd August 1933 - in for various repairs - cracked windscreen - transmission snatch - de coke etc."

So it could well be the windscreen frame was replaced at the same time and maybe only the old style was in stock? Perhaps the car was in an accident thus the reference to various repairs. The factory records do show that quite a few L2s were at the works for accident repairs - as noted in my piece "L2 Magna - The chassis files" printed in the 2013 Yearbook.

George
L2023

Edited by - George Eagle on 10/12/2020 16:56:25
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6164 Posts

Posted - 10/12/2020 :  18:04:49  Show Profile
George,

Indeed who's to say for sure but there is a photograph of a J2 at the factory taken in late January or early February 1933 and it has the strengthened supports. So they were clearly a production line item by March when the L2s were underway. I’m not a subscriber to the ‘parts bins' explanation as though the cars were just cobbled together. - there was a production line and photographs show various parts lined up for use, suggesting a degree of production line organisation.

However, your comment about a cracked windscreen is perhaps confirmation that hanging an electric wiper motor in the middle was not a good idea. And also your comment about cars going back to the factory for accident repairs resonates as L2004 was back twice, its owner, Lloyd Cowdy, being referred to in internal factory correspondence as 'the wild Irishman'!

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000