Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 Reverse-Gear Lockout
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Russel Hertzog

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2020 :  13:48:04  Show Profile
My son Ben and I are trying to add a reverse-gear lockout to his M-type for Vintage racing here in the US. These are standard on the P-types. His M-type currently has a J2/3-type gear box remote control turret. We bought a gear-box reverse stop catch (casting) from Barry Walker, but we don't have the piece with the two "ears" that is cast into the hexagonal casting on top of the remote control turret. Does anyone know who might have these? Note: Thanks to some some previous suggestions from helpful members of the MMM-Community, I am in contact with Donald McCloud in New Zeland (DDM Design), but he cannot supply parts until next year (see photo for DDM-kit attached to a J2-Turret). We are hoping to find an old used P-Type turret or a complete P-remote casting assembly sooner.

Russel Hertzog

Blithe Spirit

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2020 :  09:20:31  Show Profile
Hi Russel,
I am surprised at the lack of interest in your topic, and I have been intending to find a similar solution for a while. The DDM kit is new to me, and I would be interested in obtaining one or a similar offering if available. Perhaps if others could demonstrate an interest we could persuade Donald or someone to manufacture some.
Regards,
David
J3768
Go to Top of Page

Russel Hertzog

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2020 :  12:59:06  Show Profile
Thanks for the comment, David. I did get a few helpful comments from Donald via his website, and after looking at my J2 turret it seems that his kit would work fine with a little additional machine work on the J2 turret. The tower/turret apparently can be removed after dissembling the entire remote casting. From the gear-shift lever opening at the top of the turret, I can see the threads of bolts/screws coming up from the main casting inside the tower. However, it seems a simple device (along the lines of a stout hose-clamp) with appropriate "ears" to attach the reverse lock out "stop catch" would be a simpler and non-destructive way to modify the cap and turret of the J2. I am also waiting to hear back from a couple of the best UK-based "MMM" parts manufacturers/vendors on alternate possibilities, too. I agree with you that if there were sufficient numbers (say a dozen) of J2 owners interested in such a special device, one of them could be persuaded to do a limit run of them.

Russel Hertzog
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6162 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2020 :  14:15:57  Show Profile
While we all like to modify our cars to suit our own needs, I do wonder if such a modification is really necessary? The detent spring when engaging reverse is strong enough to prevent over-shooting neutral when going from third to second and is surely equally effective in preventing reverse gear from being engaged instead of first gear on the starting grid? Or is it a requirement under the rules for vintage racing?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Russel Hertzog

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2020 :  15:12:51  Show Profile
Good question, Simon. I will check, but my guess is that it is not required over here (on this side of the pond) for Sportscar Vintage Racing. Is it over there? Ben, my son, has built up his 1929 M-Type to racing specs, and passed inspection last year with a proper log book/documents. He would like to add the P-type lock-out to his car - just for piece-of-mind (i.e. to avoid any possibility of a "missed shift"). He was the national champion two years ago in his class (driving an Lotus), and is a very careful (conservative) driver.

Russel Hertzog
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1053 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2020 :  17:41:17  Show Profile
Well when the red mist descends there is no spring strong enough n my experience.
But who knows you might be a more sensible racer than me ;)

Onno "J,D" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Russel Hertzog

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2020 :  18:04:29  Show Profile
Experience is a great teacher...

Russel Hertzog

Edited by - Russel Hertzog on 17/12/2020 23:14:32
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6162 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2020 :  18:22:52  Show Profile
I guess it can happen. The handwritten caption on the back of this photo reads:
“Victor Ferguson gets well away in the works J3 while Lloyd Cowdy on a L-type Magna starts off in reverse.”

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Russel Hertzog

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2020 :  23:07:21  Show Profile
Great photo, Simon. I'll pass it on to Ben.

Russel Hertzog
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6162 Posts

Posted - 17/12/2020 :  23:50:51  Show Profile
Russel,
The picture was taken at Ballybannon Hill Climb in June 1933 where Victor Ferguson wiped the board with five class wins and FTD. See this thread for more details - https://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13065&SearchTerms=Ballybannon

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Russel Hertzog

USA
24 Posts

Posted - 18/12/2020 :  01:45:56  Show Profile
Thanks for the link, Simon. I sent to Ben, too.

Russel Hertzog
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000