Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Original paint formula
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Malcolm Bailey

United Kingdom
301 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2020 :  11:36:49  Show Profile
I am trying to establish the formula for the original paints used in the 1930’s
I believe that the Ford Motor company demanded a fast drying paint to speed up the production of cars in the 1920’s and DuPont came up with the formula for Nitro Cellulose paint which dried in hours not days.
This formula was used for a number of years despite the fumes being flammable and poisonous. I understand it was outlawed in USA in the fifties, the only reference I can find on the net relates to paint for guitars, for which Nitro Cellulose paint (and varnishes) is still available and legal (for furniture polishing)
I am sure there are members that are far more knowledgable on this subject but I can’t find any earlier posts, probably because I haven’t searched properly

Malcolm

Terry Hartley

United Kingdom
279 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2020 :  12:24:20  Show Profile
Malcolm
I can confirm that Nitro Cellulose is still used in the UK for guitar refinishing. I was using it for this purpose up until the early 70s and friends tell me they are still, needs a lot of care in application though, nasty stuff.
Terry
Go to Top of Page

Mikeenty

United Kingdom
198 Posts

Posted - 30/12/2020 :  12:56:06  Show Profile
Hi Malcolm,
These people supply “Celly” paint,

https://tintexpaint.com/product/nitrocellulose-automotive-paint/

Used to make you drunk from the vapours. Lethal, but not as bad as isocyanate paint today!!

It was easy to repair a part panel as it never actually sets, but not hardwearing as the modern stuff.

Mike.

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000