Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Mike Allison reasearched and transcribed records
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6145 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2021 :  17:38:59  Show Profile
It’s not compulsory, you know. You don’t have to read it if it bores you, chaps. .

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

creamcracker

United Kingdom
116 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2021 :  18:17:22  Show Profile
Well at least you made it onto page 2. Congrats.
Keith
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6145 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2021 :  18:27:14  Show Profile
Personally, I think that the notion that the Club's archive resources should be made “available to the Forum” as John Bakewell has suggested is ridiculous beyond belief. And make no mistake, these are the Club's resources and do not 'belong' in any shape or form to any individual.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2021 :  18:47:11  Show Profile
The contents of the club archives, certainly belong to the club. However, I feel there is significant value therein and could be a source of revenue to the MGCC should they be digitized and made available for a fee under appropriate copyright.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, 2M1281, NA0651
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
770 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2021 :  19:39:57  Show Profile
This all may be rubbish if folklore holds true that MFLA rescued them from a skip as having been considered rubbish by the previous owner MG Car Co/ MorrisMotors/ BLMC etc etc etc
FOZ
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6145 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2021 :  20:14:46  Show Profile
I’m assured it is true, Foz, but one man's rubbish is another man's gold.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

sam christie

United Kingdom
3108 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2021 :  22:59:37  Show Profile

This is rather confusing.

To clarify, if a man finds documents in a skip and transcribes them, does he then own the copyright?

Sam
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6145 Posts

Posted - 30/01/2021 :  23:13:52  Show Profile
Sam,
The documents in question, the chassis files of Triple-M cars, are the property of the MG Car Club.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2021 :  07:47:56  Show Profile
I don't think ownership of the original records is in question, Simon.

My point is that the work done by Mike Allison in creating a document provides him with copyright of the text of that document. It is to this document that the MMM Committee is controlling access. Again that may be entirely reasonable. However they only have the right to do this if they own the copyright.

My recurring, and unanswered question is to whether Mike has formerly assigned the copyright to the Committee, and if not what are his views on the restrictions imposed on access to the material by the Committee.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6145 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2021 :  09:05:55  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Bowers

My point is that the work done by Mike Allison in creating a document provides him with copyright of the text of that document.

I’m afraid that if I agreed with you, Ian, then we’d both be wrong.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2021 :  15:23:19  Show Profile
Simon, we must I fear, agree to disagree.

That leaves the still unanswered questions which was an aside in my first post and subsequently repeated: who actually owns the copyright and if as I am convinced this lies with Mike Allison as a result of his independent activities in researching and creating the information set, what is his view on their restricted visibility.

That these continue to go unanswered raises the concern that something is being intentionally concealed from the MG Car Club membership.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6145 Posts

Posted - 31/01/2021 :  18:11:12  Show Profile
Ian,
I’ll leave to an official of the MG Car Club to give a definitive answer but I really don’t understand why any member of the Club considers that they have an automatic right to have free access to the valuable information that the Club holds from factory records in their possession. You can purchase a copy of the factory records relating to your car - why on earth do you think it should be free?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
942 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2021 :  09:25:32  Show Profile
Simon, you are going off at a complete tangent.

I have never said or indicated that access to the records should be free. I am only concerned that the owner of the copyright defines the rules of access.

Who owns the copyright?

Have they indicated that they agree that the current rules of access to their work is correct?

Will these ever be answered?

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Gordon

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 01/02/2021 :  11:32:40  Show Profile
Ian,
In your post of 30/01/2021 : 07:38:52 where. you said "The work and resulting records produced by Mike Allison are his copyright unless he has expressly assigned it to some other body.

On that basis can you confirm that he accepts that the records should be retained within a 'secure database' and access controlled by the MMM committee to criteria defined by that committee.
and Dick replied on 30/01/2021 : 09:18:36 with "Yes, confirmed."
This seems a perfectly clear answer me.

Gordon
ex owner of PB 0331, MG4473
Derby
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page