Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 ENV 75 preselector code numbers
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

rodm

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 15/06/2008 :  21:52:30  Show Profile
Does anybody know to which car an ENV 75 preselector gearbox was originally fitted with the code R64 stamped on the top of the casing?

I feel that it might be Lagonda, but can anyone positively identify it?

Many thanks
Rod

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2008 :  20:11:24  Show Profile
Hi Rod

There is some information on the prefixes for pre-select gearboxes in Malcolm Green's superb book "MG Road Cars Volume Two - Six cyclinder cars".

It states that all production MGs, including K3's, were originally fitted with gearboxes with an FG prefix to the number. It further mentions that gearboxes with M and R prefixes were used in Riley cars.

Regards George
Go to Top of Page

powerplus

United Kingdom
599 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2008 :  20:14:22  Show Profile
Rod,
The R prefix stamped into the case of an ENV gearbox normally signified that the box was fitted to a Riley. R 64 would suggest that it was a very early box.

The prefix ascribed to an ENV 75 fitted to a Lagonda was LT and a standard MG ENV gearbox would be FG.

Alan Whitham
Go to Top of Page

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2008 :  09:53:39  Show Profile
Hi Rod,
Others have said as much as I can, but just for the record, and as the author of the article in Malcolm Green's Book on preselectors, I will confirm your box as a Riley one: the nember suggests to me sometime in 1933, and was probably first fitted to a Riley Monaco saloon, or Lynx Tourer, but some other models were also so fitted. The history of Riley models is even more contorted than that of the MG K-type!!!
The ratios in the box are probably what ENV referred to as "standard", ie that with the 1.45 third, as listed in the article.
In practice, and for road use, these ratios are suitable for MG's, but if you have , or are building, a racing car, gears are available to convert these economically to "close ratio".
Best of luck,
Mike
Go to Top of Page

rodm

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2008 :  00:14:02  Show Profile
Many thanks for all your replies.
Mike, I hope your recovery is going well. It's good to find you on the forum! I hope to see you again at Prescott this year.
Re your comments about an early box, I have a date 15.2.33.
Funny about the Riley connection. When Bill Morris rebuilt it many years ago, he didn't think that it was Riley! It has the normal (MG type) output shaft at the back, not the Riley torque tube output.
I will have to check the ratios. Whatever they are,it is a pleasure to drive!

Edited by - rodm on 19/06/2008 00:16:38
Go to Top of Page

rodm

United Kingdom
156 Posts

Posted - 19/06/2008 :  18:07:29  Show Profile
Having checked the ratio's today, they are the same as the Standard ratios mentioned by Mike in the book "MG Road Cars -volume two".
In other words "as fitted to early MG applications".
That's good to know!!!

Rod
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000