Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Big Thanks
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2008 :  16:40:44  Show Profile
I enjoyed my day ( Saturday) at Silverstone, I missed having a chat with several people I hoped to see and did not get back to Paul Duncomb. The day was spoilt for me as I had intended to drive up in the P type however having got the old girl ready on the Friday evening, over night she decided to flood her carburette and fill the supercharge up with a pint of neat petrol. So it was in the modern I went. Anyway I would like to publicly thank John Reid who has very kindly loaned me an oil pressure gage while mine is being sent away for repair. Sunday afternoon was spent stripping down the carb an sucking the petrol out of the blower, all was welll when put back together and she started first time. Thanks again John ( great thing this web site) Regards Rodney.

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2008 :  17:05:13  Show Profile
I can only echo Rodney's sentiments!

Unlike him my son Tom and I had a great thrash up to Silverstone in the NA and enjoyed a great days motor racing too (although I did not see very much because I seemed to spend a long time chatting).
MG Silverstone is always better for a sunny day and we certainly enjoyed the sunshine on Saturday.

I thought the display of MMM cars in front of the Pavilion was very impressive - a lot of very rare cars there.
It is always nice to see saloons and 4 seaters - replicas are fine but rob us of the more charming original examples.

Dick Last's win of the Kimber Trophy was impressive (although his 4th place at Monaco is probably even more noteworthy) and Tristan drove very well to win the Mary Harris.

Regards David
Go to Top of Page

powerplus

United Kingdom
599 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2008 :  19:14:09  Show Profile
I would like to thank a and congratulate Peter Green, his helpers, and all those who loaned K3s for such a wonderful display of cars at Silverstone over the weekend.
It was a most fitting and historic event to celebrate the 75th Anniversary of the K3.
Alan Whitham.
Go to Top of Page

JohnSteedman

United Kingdom
41 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2008 :  19:28:08  Show Profile
It was indeed a fabulous display of MMM exotica. My only disapointment with my Friday/ Saturday visit was the lack of a single D, J1 or F1 to admire, photograph, quiz the owner...

Maybe next year,

John Steedman
Go to Top of Page

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 16/06/2008 :  21:47:13  Show Profile
Agree with all the foregoing comments re Silverstone well done TripleM committee and all helpers. Refering back to Rodney's problem wit a blower full of petrol reminded me that on a number of early Zollers I had there was fitted a drain tap to overcome the flooded chamber without resorting to other means of emptying it and empty it you must as again to refer back to Rodney's Bugatti tale of woe a friend of the family had a Bugatti with a front mounted blower between the dumb irons who on a dark and wet night did a 3 point turn in a narrow lane the front of the car dipping into a water filled ditch which the blower promptly sucked up via the carb and literally blew the head and block apart hydraulics is powerful stuff. Fortunately the owner of the Bug was the owner of Gamet bearings in Paris so their Tool Room was actively engaged on rebuilding the Bugatti engine for many weeks.
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2008 :  09:36:45  Show Profile
Bob a drain plug on the underside of a volumex would be very helpful!
Rodney
Go to Top of Page

Pat B

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2008 :  13:14:27  Show Profile
Rodney,

I had exactly the same thing happen to me on my L Special after trailoring it for a couple of hours to a rolling road facility. With the constant shaking and movement of the car on the trailor the fuel travelled down the line to the carb and subsequently filled the supercharger with fuel.

To overcome this, I was going to install an inline tap in the fuel supply line to the carb. But I never did in the end.

The point being, at least with an inline tap you prevent the problem happeing in the first place rather than a tap at the bottom of the supercharger which (agreed)would solve the problem once it had happened.

Having said that, I am surprised that the blower filled up whilst the car was stationary !!
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2008 :  14:24:41  Show Profile
I believe some superchargers have a small hole in the rotor casing to allow excess accumulated fuel to drain off.
Go to Top of Page

etlanpa

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2008 :  14:41:04  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by kimber

I believe some superchargers have a small hole in the rotor casing to allow excess accumulated fuel to drain off.

Indeed! This appears to be common practice now...
We had a similar problem after trailoring my fathers blown Alfa down to Dover - duff plug & lots of cranking resulted in a blower full of petrol & me trailoring it back home again! It now has a 1/16" hole in the casing, which is what I have also done on my K.
Go to Top of Page

MDP

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2008 :  16:21:35  Show Profile
If my blowers ever filled with fuel, we just removed the intake pipe up to the manifold & turned the engine over to squirt it out. Be careful not to spray the mixture all over the mag or leads though...

Mark P
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 17/06/2008 :  20:05:29  Show Profile
I agree with Bob on the power of hydraulics. On a vane type blower you could easily cause damage to it by turning it over full of fuel. In my opinion the best solution is to drill and tap the bottom of the casing and insert an aircraft quality tap - the type with the locking pin so it cannot vibrate open. Dont forget to ensure that there is no protrusion in to the casing otherwise you will have some serious damage.

TH
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3237 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2008 :  10:23:47  Show Profile
I have an in line 3 position(main/off/reserve)tap on my blown NB and have not suffered any flooding of the front mounted Volumex. The tap is easily accessable through a small apperture in the floor board in front of the driver's seat.

Only snag is remembering to turn it on when setting off - it is surprising how long the engine will run on the fuel in the float bowl!

George
Go to Top of Page

ajc

United Kingdom
49 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2008 :  11:12:58  Show Profile
I too have a fuel tap, though a simple on off 90degree job just in front of the seat...very useful to have i suspect even on non blown cars....

Adrian
Go to Top of Page

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 18/06/2008 :  12:14:58  Show Profile
The fuel tap is the best idea - although on Saturday I forgot to switch the tap back to the main position after filling up with fuel and managed to get only about 1/4 of a mile before running dry!

I also always run the engine for a few seconds with the fuel pumps switched off before I kill the ignition.

The fuel tap on the base of the blower is fine - but can give trouble if the seal is not good - I also know of a couple getting damaged by stray stones.

Regards David
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000