Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 M type HEAD
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Blue M

United Kingdom
1474 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  12:55:34  Show Profile

Thanks Gordon and Andrew,
I have too admit that I don't remember checking the stud holes after the work was done. I did have a solid gasket on it for some years but when I went use it after the last rebuild I found signs of burning between 2 + 3 and discovered it was a bit thinner there. I used a normal gasket instead - which is the one which has just blown.

I have been intending to make another solid gasket but so far I haven't found a supplier who will sell me less than a 4' by 4' sheet. When I have the gasket I shall follow your advice but I don't want to take it apart again until then. Is it worth slackening off the nuts and re-tightening to 27lbs? I have used an old gasket which looked ok but which had a suspicious discolouring between 2+3.

Regarding nuts, I have been using original nuts because they looked ok and were nice and deep with a flat bottom face. I am concerned about the washers though, they looked a bit chewed up when I took the head off so must be too soft but I had too use them again so that I could get home; no doubt the wrong washers will affect the torque figures as well. If anyone knows a source of new correct nuts and hard washers I would pleased to hear from them

I seem to remmber reading somewhere that MGs made mild steel gaskets for their racing engines. Is it worth trying instead of copper?

Cheers
Ian

Go to Top of Page

etlanpa

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  13:10:08  Show Profile
Send this man a pattern & he'll produce a solid copper one...

Johnson Gaskets
2 Verity Street
East Bierley
BRADFORD DB4 6PN

01274 682298

Mike Dowley for new head studs, nuts & washers.

I'm sure it's been mentioned already, but it's important to anneal the gasket correctly, then descale with fine wire wool (or scotchbrite), then degrease. I use a thin coat of a sealant very similar to Wellseal on all 4 faces & let it go tacky before assembly.
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1474 Posts

Posted - 10/07/2008 :  14:31:07  Show Profile
Thanks Adrian,

I have just rung the gasket man, who is more or less on my way to work which is handy! An M gasket will be ú48 so it's not worth me trying to make my own.

S and V do high tensile nuts and washers ( just been in touch with them too) but I will have to wait a couple of weeks as they are out of stock. I didn't think to try them as they aren't in their catalogue.

Ian

Edited by - Blue M on 10/07/2008 14:32:18
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000