Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Bell Housing Leak
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2008 :  20:26:48  Show Profile
I've found a drip of oil comming from the bell housing of my 4 speed 2 synchro gear box. It isn't from the input shaft (I have a modern lip seal) but from the lay shaft spinle where the point protudes into the housing. Should I have coated the end of the shaft with Wellseal when I rebuilt the 'box? It's a year since I reassembled the thing I don't recall if I can simply lift the bell housing off to seal the shaft without the gears dropping into the bottom of the case. Other options are Devcon and possibly welding a lug onto the aluminium bearing retainer to cover the point of the lay shaft. Any comments or suggestions will be very welcome.

Jan T

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2165 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2008 :  13:10:18  Show Profile
Jan

There is a simple modification which was also undertaken as an after-sales servicing job. You need to make a small cover plate up and secure it to the bellhousing by tapping three holes. The Service Data Sheets suggested making a simple tin cover. I just used a small piece of aluminium plate and machines a recess in the back to allow movement of the shaft

Hope this helps

Rich H
Go to Top of Page

talbot

United Kingdom
718 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2008 :  08:58:00  Show Profile
Richard,

Thanks for the reply. Bruce Sutherland has kindly sent me a 'photo of the modification - I'm surprised this hasn't been mentioned before since it is obviously a recognised problem. Unfortunately when the front face of my gear box case was being machined the milling cutter was stopped half way across the hole for the lay shaft. There is now a step which will prevent a faricated cover seating properly. At the moment I have used Devcon Epoxy and it appears to be working. If it doesn't I will have to remove the step with a Dremel and make up the proper cover.

Cheers

Jan T
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  00:40:43  Show Profile
Bruce,

I should be grateful for a copy of your photograph, please.
I wasn't aware of the Service Sheet dealing with this issue - maybe we can get Nick to add it to Document Downloads if someone has a copy?

John R
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1578 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  00:55:14  Show Profile
John,
As one insomniac to another, I'll gladly send you a photo, but I'll need you email address, please.
"I should be grateful for a copy of your photograph".

I don't have a copy, nor have I seen the Service Sheet for this modification (P Type layshaft spindle anti-oil leak cover), perhaps another forum member can oblige?

Bruce.
Go to Top of Page

Peter Green

United Kingdom
1682 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  01:09:04  Show Profile
John,

I have uploaded 'Service Information Sheet No.3' which deals with the modification, onto the Document Download page of the website.

Peter.
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  13:04:22  Show Profile
Yes it was late - or rather early!
Thanks Peter (another night owl).
Bruce - my email is john@dhsupport.com.

John R
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1578 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  16:53:06  Show Profile
John,
Your email john@dhsupport.com. keeps getting rejected.

Bruce.
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2008 :  17:59:39  Show Profile
Bruce,

May be it's the fullstop at the end of the sentence has been wrongly "swept up" into the address. The address is correct, so try removing the .

Thanks,
John R
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000