Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 M-type Camshafts Compared
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

sam christie

United Kingdom
3114 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  12:00:49  Show Profile
Can anyone tell me about the driving charecteristics of the various camshafts which appear on M-types.

Wilson McComb had the chance to drive a very low mileage M-type in 1956 which had the early very basic camshaft and remarked on how well it went, contrary to his expectations.

Can anyone describe the driving experience with the 12/12 camshaft and the C-type form ? Which would you choose for road use ?

Sam

Edited by - sam christie on 06/07/2008 17:06:15

g waiting

United Kingdom
729 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  21:32:16  Show Profile
Sam
I have had experience with the C-type cam in an M.It was a little lumpy in traffic, but great on the open road.
Don't panic just yet,
Garry.
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  13:09:11  Show Profile
Sam, Not really the answer to your question but my M-type, with presumably the standard (1931) camshaft, is astonishing. It will happily cruise at 50 mph (at which it seems comfortable) and acceleration and getting off the mark amazes everybody. I have driven "hotted up" M-types but they are a bit frantic and I do not consider them enjoyable for road use. I think that the standard specs are quite adequate, however (as with all ohc MG's) you must ensure that the head/valve gear is up to scratch, especially that valve timing is correct. No wonder these little cars were so popular!
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  13:41:06  Show Profile
The difference in performance between the 'Minor'-spec cam and the overlap cam was/is significant. In period, VW Derrington used to supply an 'overlap cam' which when used in conjunction with their downdraught SU manifold made a big difference.

Edited by - kimber on 07/07/2008 13:42:10
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000