Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Bellvue Special.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 06/07/2008 :  22:18:53  Show Profile
At the VSCC Loton Park hillclimb I saw this very well turned out car which is obviously based on one of the six cylinder MMM cars but which one? I have tried to look up the details of this car but have failed miserably so could someone please enlighten me. I have read references to it in the past but all I can remember is that it was built by the Bellvue Garage which was in the Manchester area.

Maurice Blakey.

David Allison

United Kingdom
665 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  08:31:26  Show Profile
The car was built by Wilkie Wilkinson, based on the idea of an NE - that of a lightweight unsupercharged car.
Ultra lightweight offsett single seater clothed in a very skinny alloy shell (almost completely open) like the Riley special Wilkie built for Hector Dobbs - the two cars both compete in VSCC events now.
The was run on 6 Amal motorcycle carbs and was very successfull in sprints, hillclimbs and handicap races.

The Dobbs Riley has been left more alone by time but has a larger 2 litre engine - although I think a 2 litre might have been used pre-war the car until recently had always run a 1750 cc engine.
Also on 6 carbs (Wilkie was I think investigating theories put down by Fred Dixon) and similarly successfull the Riley was always the slightly faster of the two cars.

The MG has recently been fitted with a blower - which is in my opinion a shame.
I know its all very well for me (because I have a blown car) but it is a shame that so many cars originally run normally aspirated have now grown blowers where there were previously none.

Bellvue Garage was owned by the Evans family and I always thought they were based in London (have to check that when I get home tonight) perhaps someone more knowlegable than I can help?

Regards David
Go to Top of Page

Ray Masters

United Kingdom
568 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  09:31:19  Show Profile
Quite right, David, Belle Vue garage was in London and was run by the Evans family.
Maurice is obviously getting confused with Belle Vue in Manchester. This was a long-gone zoological park and gardens etc.(a great place when I was a kid & sorely missed by many from far afield ) but there is still a Belle Vue speedway team based close to the old zoo site.
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  10:13:45  Show Profile
Bellevue Garages were on the corner of Althorp Road and Bellevue Road, in Wandsworth, London SW17. The premises are now a wine bar/restaurant with the entrance in Bellevue Road. I suggested to the owner that he gets some period photos to reflect its previous life, but not much interest shown.

The tall garage doors at the end of Althorp Road are still there - wonder if there are any Triple-M bits gathering dust in the cellar! John R
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  10:27:06  Show Profile
The car is based on an N chassis but supports K type axles/brakes. I was told Wilkie cut and welded the fron axle to reduce it to the standard track for an N type. The welding certainly looked very neat and has obviously stood up to the stresses and strains of racing.

When I last saw the car it was in Peter Gregory's workshop, and as David states, a supercharger was added. The rebuild was to the usual high standard achieved by Peter Gregory.

The car is obviously very light and must be very competitive - pity it was not entered into the Triple-M race at Silverstone.

George

Edited by - George Eagle on 07/07/2008 10:28:15
Go to Top of Page

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  12:10:33  Show Profile
Don't wish to be too pedantic but maybe it will be of interest to history buffs John is correct Bellevue Garage that was originally established by Bertie Graham Evans a senior partner in the estaate agent business Edwin Evans & Sons was at numbers 4 & 6 Althorp Road and it was through their property associations that they bought some adjacent houses 18 & 19 Bellevue Road that were converted into a racing workshop complete with a Heenan & Froude dynamometer. As a lad living very near there I used to cycle past to school - I hasten to add not in the Bellevue years but much later but knew of its historic MG significance and little knowing that years later I would meet Kenneth Evans and be entertained in his London flat to be told of the Bellevue exploits. I do have one or two Bellevue papers inc. their sheet outlining how to convert your N type to full TT spec. Drop me an e-mail if you would like a copy - Bob
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 07/07/2008 :  12:28:00  Show Profile
Bob, thanks for the interesting history on Bellevue Garages - I shall pass it on to my sister who lives in Althorp Road, to complete her MG education!
John R
Go to Top of Page

Toni Evans

New Zealand
1 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2009 :  20:35:08  Show Profile
I would be very interested in hearing anything else about the EVANS family and Bellvue also any old pictures.

I have the Internet site on the racing scene but looking for more on Bellvue garage.

We are descended from a brother of Bertie Graham EVANS

Regards Toni
Go to Top of Page

JDoe

United Kingdom
85 Posts

Posted - 23/04/2009 :  22:23:46  Show Profile
there are three pictures of Doreen Evans at http://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/person.php?LinkID=mp64783
Go to Top of Page

Vitesse

United Kingdom
234 Posts

Posted - 25/04/2009 :  23:25:09  Show Profile
Toni: here's a brief outline I wrote a while ago:

http://forums.autosport.com/showthread.php?postid=2780195#post2780195
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 28/04/2009 :  16:07:52  Show Profile
Just looked at the pictures young miss Evans was a very attractive lady. I bet she was a big hit in the pits.

Rodney
Go to Top of Page

MaGic_GV

United Kingdom
868 Posts

Posted - 30/04/2009 :  09:22:22  Show Profile
Just so we know what we're talking about, here's a pic of the car at Loton last year...

While, just to add to the sum of human knowledge, here is an ad for Bellevue from an old Brooklands programme (1932, some years before the Bellevue special came about!

Have a nice day folks

Graham
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000