Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 An introduction and Question
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Gordy7

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2021 :  13:47:01  Show Profile
I would like to make my introduction to you all on this forum. Hello!

My father was a long time member of the MG Car club and I grew up through the late 70's and 80's attending many events so consider Triple M cars to run in my blood. My father has deceased and I've inherited three Pre War cars, a Rover and two Roesch Talbots from him, his part completed P Type was unfortunately sold some while ago. I'm not sure when his MGCC membership ended, probably in the early 90's

I'm currently minded to purchase a P Type with a Q Type style body (I hear the groans of 'not another'), and my question is; what is the eligibility requirements to enter the Speed championship with such a car?

My plan is to use the car for the odd hill climb and the odd tour with the VSCC and maybe a shot (I've done one before) at the Measham rally....

Cheers

Gordy7
Over in Norfolk

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3682 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2021 :  14:21:05  Show Profile
Hello Gordon, and welcome to the Forum.

This link gives a gentle intro to the rules etc:
https://www.triple-mregister.org/registerlogin.asp

and this link may also be helpful https://www.triple-mregister.org/champion.asp

Otherwise contact Mike Linward the Comps Secretary - his details are in the Contacts area of this website.

If you do acquire a P type, then however configured it would be welcomed to the comp fraterity and may (within reasonable bounds) qualify for recognition and awards. Best to check that with Mike L, though.

Which PA did your late father own? We would be interested in knowing, because I don't think we have his surname recorded in our historic records. It would be great to know so that we can add the details to the recorded history of the car...

Dick Morbey, Register Secretary
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
secretary@triple-mregister.org
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1506 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2021 :  15:22:07  Show Profile
Hello and welcome Gordon,
If it's the VSCC Speed Champiobship you are considering than I would also suggest talking with others that compete in the VSCC (if you can get along to VSCC Cadwell Park in June you'll find 30 or so there (MMM Race there as well I believe), (several racers have also competed in the VSCC Speed events as well as their races) and also looking into the VSCC Eligibility classifications and the effects of which class you might end up in. If you fancy a P then go for it, but do your homework first before jumping in and parting with cash.
Best Regards
Colin

Colin Murrell
PA0786 (D0285 previously)
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Edited by - colintf on 10/05/2021 15:23:20
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3244 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2021 :  16:23:40  Show Profile
And a welcome from me too.

A P type with a Q style body makes for a lightweight car which is great fun to drive. You would need to take care to ensure the identity of any car you consider is genuine, there are some P types which have the lengthened chassis coupled with a Q style body and which could have identity issues.

George
Registrar F/L/N types and PBs.
Ex PB0462 with Q style body.
Go to Top of Page

Gordy7

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2021 :  20:47:15  Show Profile
Thank you for your responses very much appreciated.

I don't have details of my father's P Type but I think I can track some down.

The car I'm considering is for sale with Robin Lawton, are you aware of it?

Gordy7
Over in Norfolk
Go to Top of Page

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6168 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2021 :  21:07:41  Show Profile
This one apparently - https://www.triple-mregister.com/cardetails_pub1.php?chassisno=PA0254

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1506 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2021 :  21:09:15  Show Profile
I've seen the advert, looks pretty, but I don't know the car.
I would establish the chassis number and ask the propriate registrar if there's any known history etc etc. Dick Morbey if it's a PA, George if PB.
Hope that helps.

Colin Murrell
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3682 Posts

Posted - 10/05/2021 :  21:22:17  Show Profile
Although the car is listed in our Register records as PA0254 we have not seen any of its ID stampings or other ID details, so that is something you would need to check. It is not of course a Q type - rather a PA special with some features which give it a superficial appearance of a Q.

Dick Morbey, Register Secretary
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
secretary@triple-mregister.org
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2021 :  09:02:16  Show Profile
Hey Gordy 7, be great to have you competing with us.

Should be a fun little PA Special that car.

If competing with the VSCC, assuming VSCC buff form etc, that car will be classified as a special. For Hills and Sprints you would be in Class 8. Special Sports-Cars and Saloon Cars* 1101cc - 1500cc unsupercharged and 751cc - 1100cc supercharged

No problem, you ll have a lot of fun, but thats a pretty competitive class so doubt you ll be bringing home a pot!

Not an issue with MGCC events, classes are a bit more friendly.

Mark Dolton
www.triple-mracing.com

Go to Top of Page

Gordy7

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2021 :  13:23:13  Show Profile
All, Thank you very much for your comments they are very much appreciated.

I'll see if I can get the ID information

Gordy7
Over in Norfolk
Go to Top of Page

Phil Standish

United Kingdom
102 Posts

Posted - 11/05/2021 :  20:26:15  Show Profile
Robin Lawton is a top chap to deal with from my experience
Go to Top of Page

Gordy7

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2021 :  15:55:01  Show Profile
That doesn't at all surprise me. He is a nice chap....

Gordy7
Over in Norfolk
Go to Top of Page

Michael Lees

United Kingdom
171 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2021 :  16:11:07  Show Profile
Hi Gordon
I organise the Octagon Club meets for Norfolk, let me know if you are interested in joining us & I'll add you to the list.
100% help and assistance; 0% fees/committees/quizzes/agms

Mike Lees
1935 'NB' NA0897
1938 'VA Tourer' VA1937T
Go to Top of Page

Gordy7

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2021 :  20:29:02  Show Profile
Yes I am and that's a kind offer. I'm in Thetford, where do you meet?

Disappointing news is that the P Type has been withdrawn from sale - hey ho!

Gordy7
Over in Norfolk
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1506 Posts

Posted - 12/05/2021 :  20:49:31  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Gordy7

Yes I am and that's a kind offer. I'm in Thetford, where do you meet?

Disappointing news is that the P Type has been withdrawn from sale - hey ho!

Gordy7
Over in Norfolk

Maybe it's not meant to be that one for you. Yours is out there somewhere! Keep looking and spend the time learning about them and what to look out for etc

Colin Murrell
Go to Top of Page

John S

United Kingdom
12 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2021 :  10:19:57  Show Profile
Gordon,
From what I can see there are a few Triple M cars coming up at auctions (eg H&H, Historics and Bonhams) which may be of interest; Richard Edmunds also has a project in their May sale. You'll need to do the research and be comfortable with what you are getting but there could be a few choices out there. The Register database pages may provide you with some initial car info, if there is a specific car you are looking at let us know and we can let you know if we know anything more on history. As Dick says, some of these cars have gone through changes over the years so worth being clear on history, what is known and what is not. Hope this helps.
John

JS
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000