Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Working on MGs IN THE HOUSE !
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Next Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Westbury

United Kingdom
2047 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2021 :  10:26:12  Show Profile

I have just posted a reply under the technical section ( PA floorboards) In which I mentioned working on my then (1969) MG PB. I had just got married and in our first house which, unfortunately, did not have a garage. In desperation, because it was winter, I got the chassis up through the spare bedroom window to enable me to continue the restoration.

Anyone have similar stories?

Chris

coracle

United Kingdom
1971 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2021 :  10:40:08  Show Profile
The only notable incursion into domestic areas I can recall is putting a pair of Rover V8 heads through the dishwasher.

It turned out to be an unpopular move as it tainted the salmon poaching that followed.

https://www.food.com/recipe/dishwasher-salmon-13246

Edited by - coracle on 13/05/2021 10:42:55
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3682 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2021 :  10:46:44  Show Profile
My PA steering wheel/column/drop arm combo served as a very effective hat stand for several years ...

Dick Morbey, Register Secretary
PA-PB 0743
Frieth, Oxon, UK
secretary@triple-mregister.org
Go to Top of Page

njnh

United Kingdom
405 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2021 :  11:45:55  Show Profile
The top of the AGA is undoubtedly the best place to heat a new flywheel ring-gear to to the perfect temperature for dropping onto the flywheel...

Nigel H

Go to Top of Page

Gordy7

United Kingdom
6 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2021 :  13:53:19  Show Profile
I have clear memories of my father rebuilding an A Series head (for a Turner) on the dining room table....clearly the Sunday Times newspaper was adequate protection!!!

Gordy7
Over in Norfolk
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
705 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2021 :  13:55:33  Show Profile
Likewise I use the top of the wood burning stove in the kitchen to warm things prior to fitting.
John R
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2047 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2021 :  14:01:17  Show Profile

Of course the best example of cars in the house must have been that of the late Clive Jones who lived in the old railway station at Rednall near Oswestry.
The station had been modified for domestic use and the main living area was served by large double doors giving access to the outside.
Clive had an extensive collection of prewar cars, including several MGs, of which he would always have one or another in the house according to which one was flavour of the month !
I visited Clive many times and it was amusing to see him sitting in the room with one eye on the television and the other on whichever car was parked alongside him on the carpet.
Mind you, he very considerately and conscientiously never omitted to place a drip tray under the engine ! (Not that his wife would have dared complain.)

Chris
Go to Top of Page

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2021 :  16:15:25  Show Profile
Like many in my early triple-m days i did not have a garage so all work was done on the kitchen table which required my step father to drill three holes in it. Two for a vise and one for the crank shaft so that the engine could be stood on its nose.
Mother was not amused and soon after we moved to a house with a double garage

Bob
Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1056 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2021 :  18:22:28  Show Profile
Ever since I’ve had a triple M I’ve had access to a garage though that has not stopped me ;)
Dishwasher = chemical cleaning
Study = spares storrage
And many a gasket remains have been scrapped off with a kitchen knife.
Without any complaint so no wonder I married her :)

Onno "J,D,M" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2021 :  18:47:19  Show Profile
To my mother's annoyance, in the 1960s we used to boil brake and clutch linings on the gas hob. Water with a few added spoonfuls of Daz.

Invariably the process would be repeated a few weeks later when more oil had escaped past the rear main bearing or rear hub seals. After a couple of hours on the heat they worked perfectly again.

A J2 clutch cover plate would just fit in a preserving pan although not recommended for best jam results.

Edited by - kimber on 13/05/2021 18:48:52
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3248 Posts

Posted - 13/05/2021 :  19:05:15  Show Profile
What do you mean I can't use the dishwasher to clean those parts? They are (brake backing) PLATES!!

Lew Palmer
PA1169, 2M1281, NA0651
Go to Top of Page

Deess

France
225 Posts

Posted - 14/05/2021 :  09:59:56  Show Profile
I kept my p yep in the sitting room as it just squeezed in he double doors,,have now built triple garage to house mg and 2 other blue french ancients with workshop.at last almost all in one place...
Go to Top of Page

Ralph

United Kingdom
72 Posts

Posted - 15/05/2021 :  12:20:14  Show Profile
I totally restored a 1922 Triumph Ricardo motorcycle in my bedroom and to the surprise of the local policeman when he came round to inspect the bike to reclaim the original registration number - where to keep this motorcycle then, Sonny - it’s upstairs in my bedroom!
When finished myself and three friends manhandled it down the stairs - Mother never complained!!
Ralph
Go to Top of Page

Westbury

United Kingdom
2047 Posts

Posted - 16/05/2021 :  19:59:15  Show Profile
Thanks for all your replies !

Chris
Go to Top of Page

kjrj

United Kingdom
136 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2021 :  15:26:27  Show Profile
Nigel - I haven't actually used an induction hob to heat things like ring gears, but I can't see any reason why it wouldn't work. A friend who worked for SKF said they had some special kit to heat bearings by induction.

Ralph - Dad (Liverpool University, 1945-48) said that some of his colleagues dismantled a fellow student's Austin Seven, took it piece by piece up to the roof of the engineering faculty and reassembled it there!

Kevin Jones
Letchworth, Herts
NA0950
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1971 Posts

Posted - 20/05/2021 :  16:13:24  Show Profile
A bit off thread I know but on the subject of induction, here is a coil from a prototype machine for induction heating camshafts to surface harden them. It is hollow for water cooling and about 4,000 amps would go through it. I rescued it from the scrap bin many years ago.

I thought I had found a fuse to go with it but it is perhaps a bit big.

Edited by - coracle on 20/05/2021 16:27:31
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Next Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000