Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 ENV 110 preselector gearbox
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Roy

Sweden
17 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  08:49:47  Show Profile
looking for workshop manual for this type of gearbox ,first gear missings.Where to get parts ? or any ho can give advise please let me know .

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  09:38:55  Show Profile
Hi Roy,

So far as I am aware, there is no Workshop Manual for this type of gearbox specifically. I was involved with overhauling pre-selectors for over thirty years, and have details for many types, but not the 110 model.

The good news, however, is that the box is very similar to the 75 model, but is physically larger. I wrote up a method for overhauling preselectors in general terms in Malcolm Green's compendium book, the Six Cylinder MG, which is still available from the Register Library.

The usual "gear failure" is due to lack of lining, and this is a comparatively simple job. The linings are available in this country from brake lining suppliers, and they will normally rivet this in place and machine it to size. I strongly recommend that you do all the bands, and renew the top gear cone at the same time. The gearbox has to be stripped completely for the operation, even if only changing a lingle band, which is a long job, and therefore expensive.

Sadly there are no new spares now available for the 110 model, but most things can be remade by jobbing machine shops.

Should you need further help of information, please write to me personnaly, and I will try to help.

Best wishes,

Mike Allison
Go to Top of Page

Gerhard Maier

Germany
873 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  10:19:23  Show Profile
Roy, you are looking for info about a ENV 110 box.

What is, or is there a difference between the ENV 110 and a Armstrong Siddely Preselector gearbox ?

For the Armstrong Siddely Preselector gearbox, I could copy 16 pages
about maintainance from a prewar weekly "Motor Engineering" magazine.
If that helps.

Gerhard
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 08/08/2008 :  10:37:48  Show Profile
Gregory's Autoparts sell a copy of the owners instruction manual for the ENV75 box. May be of interest/information for you?

George
Go to Top of Page

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 10/08/2008 :  17:20:08  Show Profile
Hi all,

The ENV 110 is quite different in detail to the Armstrong box, so I do not think that the manual for that is of any use. The ENV 75 is fairly close, and the full manual is in the Blower book, "MG Workshop Manual", which has been around for yonks: I got my first one in 1957!

Having said that, I repeat that all preselectors work in mush the same way. You cannot beat taking one to pieces. Broadly, compress the main operating spring, then loosen off all the gear operating struts (undo the thimble nuts), then carefully remove the front cover. In the ENV boxes, top gear operating mechanism has to be removed then, this is followed by the rest of the gear train. The operating strust can now be removed. Drive out the reverse gear dum with its bearing, and then separate the top casin from the bottom, to expose the brake bands. These can now be levered off, taking care not to lose the locating springs which are at the bottom. of each band.

DO NOT undo any of the nuts on the base, except those around the periphery. Those in the "middle" of the base do not need removing to remove the bands, but if the 'box is exceptionally dirty inside then these will need to come off... it is quite normal to have to do this!

The job, including reassembly is fiddly, dirty, and will result in a skinned knuckle or two, but is immensely satisfying when completed. Don't undertake the job unless you have a moderate degree of mechanical skill. I always reckon that a complete overhaul takes around 40 man hours, which is why it is an expensive thing to have done. I repeat, if you need any help, I am here!

Best wishes

Mike Allison
Go to Top of Page

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 11/08/2008 :  23:33:09  Show Profile
Roy - If it is any use to you I have an article from the June 1937 Motor Commerce Service supplement on servicing ENV boxes. It has a number of photos of the internals together with some very good drawings showing how the drive is transmitted and the action of the busbars etc. Not sure if it will scan but could send photcopies, in addition if useful for the technical library let me know and I'll send copies.

As Mike said Blower is very good I've used mine since 1952 and the grubiest pages are those regarding the preselector as it was all I used when rebuilding the R type box.

By the way who was Blower anyone know the answer

regards to all - Bob
Go to Top of Page

Mike Allison

United Kingdom
196 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2008 :  08:34:10  Show Profile
Eric Blower:

Was Service Manager at MG Car Company in the post-war days, working under Gordon Phillips. Service was big business at MG until around 1957, when the function was removed and all stores relating to pre-war models were destroyed. Blower realised that there was a demand for the pre-war manuals, and made the compendium which for many of us in the fifties was the ONLY source of information. My own original copy was a birthday present in 1956, and was the newly updated version containing information of the TF. The original, pulished, I think, around 1950 only went as far as the TD.

Blower had retired by the time I joined the Company in 1964, I think through bad health, but Gordon Phillips was still there.

Hope this adds a little to general knowledge.

Best wishes,

Mike Allison
Go to Top of Page

McEvoy

United Kingdom
252 Posts

Posted - 26/08/2008 :  15:34:25  Show Profile
I have now passed photocopies of the ENV preselector data to the club library so that anyone using the search function will be led to this info. which I'm sure the librarian would make available copies for a modest charge for club funds.
Thanks Mike for the Blower info certainley Abingdon had more than its fair share of characters - thank goodness.
regards to all - Bob.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000