Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 P-type radiator crossbar
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Nick Feakes

USA
3377 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2008 :  15:29:31  Show Profile
I do not have this bracket. Would someone please send me a description or a sketch of the radiator crossbar (the item that has the angled brackets at each end that support the headlamp brackets).
Is it one piece or two?
The angled brackets have threaded holes in them, so presumably they are bolted to the crossbar from the inside out?
How much gap is there between the outside edge of the radiator and the end of the bracket (that must be bent forward)? How do you get the bolts in (if the crossbar is in one piece).
Does it go in front of the radiator to engine bracket?
Nick

Specialties: P-types & Electrics

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1566 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2008 :  15:54:20  Show Profile
Hello Nick,
.............a description or a sketch of the radiator crossbar..."
I have my PB radiator and fixing brackets out of the car, all re-cored, refurbished, and repainted. I'll take some photos and dimensions for you, but it'll be later today before I can get to it. Hope you can wait!!!!!!
Cheers.
Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2008 :  15:56:00  Show Profile
Hi Nick,

I have fiddled with this component as it can be difficult to fit.

It is one piece with each end folded forwards, getting your fingers inside the rad cowl to fit the 1/4bsf bolts that hold the headlamp brackets can be a pain.

I have braized studs into the threaded holes with the intention of using nuts instead of the bolts.

The bracket fits in front of the radiator to engine bracket, the engine bracket has 2 holes that line up with the radiator cross bar.

I will give you measurements tomorrow.

Regards

Russ
PB 0333
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2008 :  16:10:39  Show Profile
I believe I have a full set of brackets ex my PA (I'll need to search under the bench). From memory, one of the threads was stripped but otherwise serviceable, it that is of interest?
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3377 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2008 :  18:26:37  Show Profile
Hi Andrew
that would be excellent, contact me directly.
I like the idea of studs and I am still interested in the pics.
Thank you all
Nick

Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2008 :  18:51:54  Show Profile
Threaded studs sound fine but how would you assemble it? The angle brackets which are threaded fit inside the crossbar. ie between the radiator and the crossbar and it is a very close fit.

Fitting the set screws, is a fiddly job but it's not that difficult.

Peter
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2008 :  21:24:27  Show Profile
The main bracket that fits across the radiator does have 2 1/4 bsf threaded holes in each end the L shaped brackets which go through the radiator surround also have two holes drilled in them. Fitting the necessarily short 1/4 bsf bolts is a really fiddly job!!

George
Go to Top of Page

ags

United Kingdom
275 Posts

Posted - 13/08/2008 :  22:51:11  Show Profile
Hi Nick,

What nobody so far has made exactly clear is the the angled brackets fit inside the ends of the bent cross piece. Therefore, to answer your original question the angled brackets are bolted with the heads outside, ie nearest to the chrome shell, and the threads going inwards.

I do not think that assembly will be possible with fixed studs. The brackets must pass through the slots in the chrome shell which cannot be done with both angled brackets in position. At most you could have one bracket with studs and one with bolts. As noted by others the assembly is not a fast job because of the restricted space between the chrome shell and the ends of the bent cross piece. Also because of the shell you cannot directly see what you are doing. However I can think of even more frustrating jobs, so I would advise that you approach the job on a calm evening, make sure that the bolts you are using are only just long enough, no more than one or two threads clear of the innermost face of the angled brackets when bolted through the cross piece and also that these threads and the tip of the bolt have a nice chamfer or radius to help the threads engage. As always the first bolt is the worst, once you have one started loosely the angled bracket can be pivoted through the slot in the shell to locate the second bolt.

It sounds to me as if you are also lacking the tapered (in plan view) distance piece that goes between the studs on the front face of the cylinder head and the rear facing studs passing through the bent bracket from the gussets on the back of the radiator framing. This piece is essential as it ensures that no possible stresses are passed from the flexing of the chassis to either the radiator or its hoses. And to answer your second question, this function requires that the bent cross piece is a single part to take any side to side forces away from the comparatively delicate radiator core. Another part of this design plan is the front tubular engine mounting with its rubber insulators to allow the front of the chassis to do whatever it needs to without affecting the vertical position of the engine and radiator.

More technical ramblings from

Andrew Smith MMM571
Go to Top of Page

dade

United Kingdom
513 Posts

Posted - 14/08/2008 :  08:24:51  Show Profile
Hi Nick

Further to my comment about fixed studs on he rad cross bar, if the rad shell fixing screws are left out at the fixing stage so that the shell is moveable it is possible to fit the brackets through the wall of the shell and fit nuts and washers as suggested and then fit the shell fixings after.

Russ
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3377 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2008 :  14:33:49  Show Profile
Thank you for all the advice and comments. Thank you Andrew for the missing part. Never ceases to amaze me how much knowledge there is out there!
In the same area, my bracket that goes from the radiator seems too short. The radiator is about 5" from the head, allowing 1/4" for the crossbar, that leaves 4 3/4", but my bracket is only 4" front to back. Is my bracket wrong or is there a spacer somewhere?

Nick

Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3244 Posts

Posted - 29/08/2008 :  15:20:11  Show Profile
Nick, The bracket may be bent slightly or the radiator may be too far forward. I had to bend my bracket back slightly to fill a similar gap.

Lew Palmer
Registrar, NAMMMR
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000