Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Breaking MMM Cars
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6152 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2021 :  17:55:08  Show Profile
If there are three possibilities - tax, SORN or scrap - isn’t the DVLA's position ternary rather than binary?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3247 Posts

Posted - 18/11/2021 :  18:27:25  Show Profile
Almost worse than breaking up a classic vehicle is a practice of removing perfectly good parts from a car and then replacing them with poor condition parts and then reselling the good bits, sometimes to the buyer of the car. I've seen it happen.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, 2M1281, NA0651
Go to Top of Page

Blithe Spirit

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2021 :  09:09:09  Show Profile
There is now another dimension to this. It is illegal for anyone other than in a licensed Authorised Treatment Facility to dismantle a vehicle for scrap or dispersal of its parts. I don't believe that the absence of a V5c changes the car's status, as the law is for environmental protection, however misguided. And lastly, if a viable car is broken, and another created from some or all of its parts, the VSCC will blacklist the identity of that original car.
So, there should be enough hurdles, both legal and moral to protect our beloved cars' histories; makes special building more difficult though.
Happy motoring,
David
Go to Top of Page

merlinart

United Kingdom
149 Posts

Posted - 19/11/2021 :  10:17:54  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Blithe Spirit

There is now another dimension to this. It is illegal for anyone other than in a licensed Authorised Treatment Facility to dismantle a vehicle for scrap or dispersal of its parts. I don't believe that the absence of a V5c changes the car's status, as the law is for environmental protection, however misguided. And lastly, if a viable car is broken, and another created from some or all of its parts, the VSCC will blacklist the identity of that original car.
So, there should be enough hurdles, both legal and moral to protect our beloved cars' histories; makes special building more difficult though.
Happy motoring,

Well the trouble with coupling the morality issue (highly subjective/objective, and open to interpretation), and the issue of building specials, is basically, down to the individual...if an owner no longer likes the bodywork of his car...he is entitled is he not, to remove it and build a special...why not. This must have happened in it's day, indeed one could order a rolling chassis in some instances. I hear this dilemma/argument on the Austin Seven forum too...some loathe the proliferation of as they call them the "Ulsteroid", that is a nice EA Sports/Ulster type body mounted on to a Ruby chassis. I have one of these myself partially in build, and even worse, a non standard engine! Hell's teeth!!

David
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000