Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Towing bracket position
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1578 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2021 :  20:31:41  Show Profile
Is there a preferred front axle towing bracket position (L or RH) for MMM owners for who drive on the left (e.g. UK & others) and those in countries who drive on the RH lane?

And should the above type of towing bracket have:
a) the towing 'eye' inboard or outboard of the front spring?
b) and bent up or down?

Bruce. (PB0564)

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6152 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2021 :  21:39:12  Show Profile
If using this type of bracket for actually towing the car wouldn’t it be better to have one on each side? And surely turned up so that it doesn’t easily catch on anything?

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

miketh

United Kingdom
35 Posts

Posted - 23/11/2021 :  22:59:42  Show Profile
And with the eye (or eyes) inboard to minimise the turning/steering effect?

Mike T
J2391
Go to Top of Page

i.thomson

United Kingdom
408 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2021 :  09:39:55  Show Profile
I do wonder how much clearance there is on the front cowling when in use. Turning the lug down would maximise clearance.

Ian.
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2021 :  13:12:03  Show Profile
Umless there is a specific reason to fit this to comply with a motor sport requirement I really cannot see the point.
Have only ever had to be towed a couple of times in 60 years of Triple M ownership and if it is necessary you just remove front cowl and put towing straps around front cross tube. Does not cause damage and better to tow the chassis rather than the springs.
For what it is worth....

TH
Go to Top of Page

spatek

United Kingdom
220 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2021 :  13:18:18  Show Profile
They were my thoughts as well Terry that people have so little confidence in their cars that they have need for the bracket I have now put a jinx on my next outing
Go to Top of Page

bernard.scott

United Kingdom
194 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2021 :  19:29:22  Show Profile
I have used my towing bracket, which is the one in the photograph, quite a lot when needing to move the car with the engine inoperative or for winching onto a trailer. Very quick with a carabiner attachment on the tow line. I’m definitely not taking it off now the car is on the road as I believe the bracket has magical properties. No need to tow……….so far.
Seriously, my reasoning for having the bracket is the speed with which it can be employed and the possible need to get the car out of harms way as quickly as possible in modern traffic conditions.

Go to Top of Page

LewPalmer

USA
3247 Posts

Posted - 24/11/2021 :  21:11:20  Show Profile
I don’t drive any of my prewar cars to events which are often 500 to 1000 miles or more from home. These brackets are a simple and quick way to tie the car down in the trailer.

Lew Palmer
PA1169, 2M1281, NA0651
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000