Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Triple-M Safety Fast! Newsletter
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6152 Posts

Posted - 09/02/2022 :  22:07:50  Show Profile
In the latest edition of Safety Fast! (February 2022), Cathelijne Spoelstra poses a number of queries about Ulster M.G.s and in doing so she helped me solve one of the - many - gaps in Triple-M information over here in Norn Iron.

She asks which J2 R.A. Scott is pictured with and the answer is J2267. I have a copy of the chassis file somewhere but in essence this is the story.

This J2 was originally purchased by George Anthony Clark of Seapark, Greenisland on 6. November. 1932 from Victor Ltd., of Bedford Street, Belfast. He still had the car in May 1933 but by March 1935 it was in the hands of Robin A. Scott c/o Messrs J.B. Ferguson Ltd, of Chichester Street, Belfast’. (J.B. Ferguson was Victor Ferguson's brother.) According to the correspondence, the car was still in his possession in July 1935 when the works agreed, as a special favour, to rebuild the engine for racing for the princely sum of £15 instead of the usual £50. This appears to have been sanctioned by Cecil Kimber and signed off by Works Manager George Propert, much to the chagrin of Service Manager John Thornley who knew nothing of this arrangement).

George Clark (later Sir George Clark, Bart.) was a neighbour of Flt. Lt. L.R. Briggs and must surely have known him as they moved in the same rarified social circles. The Clarks were shipbuilders and Briggs's father in law was in shipping. They both entered Craigantlet in 1933 but while Briggs went on to win his class, Clark didn’t start and there is no sign of him ever competing in either the J2 or indeed anything else. As he was only nineteen years old his family may have decided that this was far too risky a venture and put their foot down.

I tracked down Sir George's daughter a couple of years ago and she was kind enough to send me this picture.

But of course, no registration number. However, from Cathelijne's Newsletter we now know it’s CZ 987. It doesn’t help in finding the car which we must assume is long gone, but it’s nice to fill in the gaps.

Regarding CZ 2800, funnily enough, a friend of mine owned this car in the 1950s. It’s hard to imagine that it isn’t J3412. It was discussed before in this thread - http://www.triple-mregister.org/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=7595&SearchTerms=j2,agnew

Simon J
J3437

Simon Johnston

United Kingdom
6152 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2022 :  17:25:23  Show Profile
This is a rather clearer picture of Fleming in PA0456 'yumping' the bridge at Bangor West station.

Note that he’s wearing a jacket and tie (!) (just discernible in the newspaper photo in Safety Fast!), rather than cool, white racing overalls which would perhaps suggest it was taken during practice rather than the race. This would be confirmed by the date of the picture - 21 June 1935 - which was a Friday and the day before the race.

And here he is just starting to pirouette, ending up facing the wrong way in the 1936 County Down Race as shown in one of the other photos in Cathelijne's article.

Simon J
J3437
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 10/02/2022 :  22:10:02  Show Profile
Fabulous photographs Simon!

Colin Murrell
PA0786 (D0285 previously)
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000