Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 crack in engine block
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Colin Murphy

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  19:36:27  Show Profile
Can anyone help solve a problem with a hairline crack in my MG P block without removing the engine? Only a small crack and a tiny leak.
Thanks
Colin.

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  20:25:10  Show Profile
Colin

For the past 2 years I have been keeping an eye on a small crack in my PB block - a horizontal crack about 1 inch long, about half an inch below the top of the block near the front offside head stud.

I've been advised that that an in-situ repair can be done by metal stitching and the name that everyone recommends seems to be Surelock at Unit 3, Pillings Rd Ind Est, Oakham, Rutland LE15 6QF England
Tel: +44 (0)1572 722051 - see http://www.castingrepairs.com/

Good luck

Regards
Dick Morbey, PA/B 0743
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 09/09/2008 :  20:40:24  Show Profile
If the leak is very small then Bars Leaks might work, alternatively Holts Wondarweld would I believe would seal the leak.

I use Bars Leaks in the NB radiator as it minimise lime scale, sludge and corrosion in aluminium and cast iron engines as well as lubricating and protecting the water pump. I also used it in an MGC GT I owned where it sealed a small radiator leak which I think was caused by flying debris.

Regards George
Go to Top of Page

etlanpa

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  07:53:57  Show Profile
I can thoroughly recommend K-Seal - it doesn't clog up the radiator core like Bars leaks & Blockweld...

http://www.kalimex.co.uk/section.html?secpath=01.04.&pgid=17
Go to Top of Page

ht1962

Netherlands
114 Posts

Posted - 10/09/2008 :  08:13:51  Show Profile
Hello Colin

When i blew the aston engine in 1991 ,we had new pieces of cast iron glued into the side's of the engine.
This was regularly done by people who repair the enormous engines in ships (while on sea).
The repairs are still ok , so this gluelike stuf must be good
It's called Belzona.

http://www.belzona.com/products.aspx

Regards Halbe Tjepkema
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 11/09/2008 :  19:54:58  Show Profile
I have not found any blocking of the radiator core with bars leaks!

George
Go to Top of Page

donkeydrop

United Kingdom
77 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2008 :  09:39:48  Show Profile
Colin,

My block was stitched by Suelock in situ. He starts with a crack detection which revealed more cracks than could be seen by the naked eye. The job was excellently done and he finishes off with a flush of a ceramic compound which coates the inside of the block and is cured by heat.

I cleared the general area (in my case the exhaust manifold) and trailed the car over to Oakham.

John
PA 0909
Go to Top of Page

Roel Harryvan

Netherlands
35 Posts

Posted - 19/09/2008 :  10:34:17  Show Profile
Colin,

See the side : www.cast-iron-repair.co.uk

Roel.
PA1146
Go to Top of Page

Colin Murphy

United Kingdom
9 Posts

Posted - 30/09/2008 :  20:29:51  Show Profile
Thanks for everybody's help with the cracked block. I am looking into all possibilities and it looks as if dry stitching is going to be the long term solution. Thanks again.
Regards Colin
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000