Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Q rep
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

paul55

Luxembourg
732 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2022 :  21:03:01  Show Profile
Just seen this. No connection at all, just passing it on.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/x/275231961627

coracle

United Kingdom
1966 Posts

Posted - 02/04/2022 :  21:08:55  Show Profile
https://www.triple-mregister.org/SaleNew2/slideshow3.asp?Record=322
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1474 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2022 :  06:39:22  Show Profile
If it isn't MGCC acceptable how is it VSCC Club eligible? The ad says ready to race, hillclimb etc - I'm just wondering where it could be used..
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
947 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2022 :  08:09:28  Show Profile
Interesting that the asking price has dropped from £160K (through BW) to £100K in EBay.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

colintf

United Kingdom
1504 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2022 :  08:12:25  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Ian Bowers

Interesting that the asking price has dropped from £160K (through BW) to £100K in EBay.

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772

That's a different car I believe, the R Type recreation

Colin Murrell
PA0786 (D0285 previously)
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

Ian Bowers

United Kingdom
947 Posts

Posted - 03/04/2022 :  09:20:31  Show Profile
Of course, silly me!!

Ian Bowers
OD 6791
J3 3772
Go to Top of Page

Dolts

United Kingdom
1129 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2022 :  07:38:02  Show Profile
Not a new debate. The car is clearly of Triple-M type spec just on a brand new chassis. For racing, recreations / copies what ever we call them etc are ok, just wont qualify for any awards in Triple-M Register World. (Like the R type Recreation)

VSCC has a whole different world of eligibility for recreations / specials etc not just about chassis.

Just pleased there is a very clear description around what the car is.

Mark Dolton
Triple-M Racing

Go to Top of Page

Tim Phelps

United Kingdom
168 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2022 :  14:42:31  Show Profile
Hello everyone,

This is my car, bought as a project from Hamish McNinch in 2009 when he acquired his original C Type.

It has taken me over 10 years, thousands of pounds and many, many hours to get it to this condition and level of detail. I've got 3 pages of detailed description for anyone interested in the car and am open to viewings and discussing an offer with anyone seriously interested. The car is advertised here on the Triple-M site under "cars for sale".

Paul, you and I have messaged about specifications etc related to this car on many occasions over the years.

Mark, you and I have spoken and I think you saw this car when I brought it to Goodwood for an MGOT event about 5 years ago. Thank you for your comment about a very clear description. I've never pretended that this car is anything other than what it is. The chassis is new - maybe not "brand new" as I think its been around for about 20 years! The car has original N Type front and rear axles and an original FG prefix ENV75. The engine has many original P Type parts. Arguably more authentic than some replicas I have seen (but don't wish to start yet another debate on this topic!!).

Any interest do get in touch.
Tim
Go to Top of Page

paul55

Luxembourg
732 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2022 :  16:46:00  Show Profile
Thanks Tim, I never realised that it was yours, sorry.

Paul
Go to Top of Page

Tim Phelps

United Kingdom
168 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2022 :  16:58:00  Show Profile
Ian,

From what I have read on the VSCC website is that they will accept cars which have at least 3 original items from the critical list of 5. These are
1. Chassis
2. Engine
3. Front axle
4. Rear axle
5. Gearbox

This car has original N Type front and rear axles, as used on Qs, Original MG ENV Gearbox (prefix FG). The engine is not fully original but does have some original P Type engine parts. The chassis is reproduction.

Hence my comment in the advert, but it is up to a buyer to explore eligibility fully. If proved to be eligible, this car would be able to be used at VSCC events - both track and hillclimb.

I hope this clarifies....
Tim
quote:
Originally posted by Blue M

If it isn't MGCC acceptable how is it VSCC Club eligible? The ad says ready to race, hillclimb etc - I'm just wondering where it could be used..

Go to Top of Page

Onno

Netherlands
1050 Posts

Posted - 04/04/2022 :  18:27:29  Show Profile
This is what the VSCC actually says about eligibility of newbuilds

COPIE COPIES AND COPIED PARTS
12. In applying the regulations above and those that follow, cars constructed from a mixture of original and copy parts, providing that such cars fall within the groups set out below, are accepted by the Club subject to the Committee’s approval. It should be borne in mind that the Club does not accept newly built cars unless they contain a reasonable proportion of original parts. Therefore, once a car has been constructed in this manner, any replacement of any major component by a newly made version must first have the Committee’s approval. If the replacement is approved, the change must be recorded in the VSCC’s registration document.

VETTING
13. Any person contemplating assembling a car from parts must notify the Committee of the VSCC before starting its construction and should provide a detailed description of its specification. Should the car vary from this specification, the Committee reserves the right to insist on a new application as if the car had not been constructed. It also reserves the right to exclude a car if the final product no longer conforms to the spirit or letter of these regulations. Both while the assembly is in progress and upon completion, the car must be readily available for inspection by any person(s) nominated by the Committee.

I would not automatically expect the car to be eligible as there have been some signals of newbuilds being judged more strictly, but the eligibility committee works in mysterious ways ;)
I do advise anyone interested with the aim to compete with the VSCC to contact the eligibility committee for their advice to avoid disappointment

Onno "J,D,M" Könemann
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1474 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2022 :  09:33:57  Show Profile
Tim,I really hope there are no problems. After all,lots of cars have had new chassis rails fitted. Looks great anyway.
Go to Top of Page

mike.g

United Kingdom
86 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2022 :  14:34:44  Show Profile
I am with Ian on this one. I know of at least one C type accepted by the Register and competing that has two new side rails but C or J Type cross members ?. I think the question with this one is whether the cross rails and castings are new as well as the side rails but even if they are enough of the car is still original MMM for the VSCC to be likely to accept it as eligible so why shouldn't the Register. Also it is not as if a complete, original and running car was broken up to create it and Tim has been totally open about its ancestry. I accept that we have a duty to ensure that vehicles like this are not being passed of as originals but at the same time we should not be over precious when it comes to them competing in Club events. A new chassis does not give any mechanical advantage whereas new Blocks,Heads,Rods, Cranks, improved Cams , Blowers and Electrics certainly do. What we actually have is a superb looking motor which would grace any event or race and which many of us would love to own !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike G.

m.j.gooch
Go to Top of Page

Keith Durston

United Kingdom
712 Posts

Posted - 05/04/2022 :  14:50:42  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by mike.g

I am with Ian on this one. I know of at least one C type accepted by the Register and competing that has two new side rails but C or J Type cross members ?. I think the question with this one is whether the cross rails and castings are new as well as the side rails but even if they are enough of the car is still original MMM for the VSCC to be likely to accept it as eligible so why shouldn't the Register. Also it is not as if a complete, original and running car was broken up to create it and Tim has been totally open about its ancestry. I accept that we have a duty to ensure that vehicles like this are not being passed of as originals but at the same time we should not be over precious when it comes to them competing in Club events. A new chassis does not give any mechanical advantage whereas new Blocks,Heads,Rods, Cranks, improved Cams , Blowers and Electrics certainly do. What we actually have is a superb looking motor which would grace any event or race and which many of us would love to own !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike G.

m.j.gooch
Very wise words Mike and I feel written with no political edge. Well said I say.
Keith

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000