Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Ally or steel body panels?
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

BobRichards RIP

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 12/09/2008 :  19:05:31  Show Profile
I have ordered a new P type body from Steve Gilbert who can supply it panelled in either steel or aluminium for the same price.

I originally thought ally would be better from the no rust standpoint but there are considerations of strength and ease of painting.

I know that P type bodies were never very rigid and that ally requires etch priming but what about other prep before painting?

Please would you advise me from your own experience.

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 13/09/2008 :  00:23:03  Show Profile
Steve made me a (superb) body for my F2 replica and I opted for the steel (rust is less of a problem in most places here in Oz but cars like these seldom get wet anyway?) due to its greater strength.
Go to Top of Page

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2008 :  09:57:16  Show Profile
click on search -enter "alluminium". Scroll down and click on "Metal body skin". scroll down to my posting dated 15/11/04 and you will get the answer to the painting part of your question. With respect to strength of ally use thicker grade for the larger panels (also covered previously)and you shouldn't have any problems. Regards Rich
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2008 :  13:53:39  Show Profile
Bob I would have no hesitation in choosing to panel your body in aluminium. Steve will know the correct grade and thickness to use. I have never had a problem of any sort with an ali panelled body and painting should not give you any problems.

TH

Edited by - tholden on 14/09/2008 13:55:35
Go to Top of Page

ht1962

Netherlands
114 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2008 :  18:53:42  Show Profile
Hello Bob,

My car from 1934 (not an MG ) still has her original aluminium panelled body.
I wouldn't have a problem using ally as long as the bodyman knows what he is doing.

Regards Halbe

Edited by - ht1962 on 14/09/2008 18:55:11
Go to Top of Page

mgptype

United Kingdom
709 Posts

Posted - 14/09/2008 :  19:27:50  Show Profile
Bob,

My PA body is made from aluminium and I have had no problems with painting it, the use of an etch primer is essential so the paint will stick.

Fred.
Go to Top of Page

BobRichards RIP

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2008 :  18:00:40  Show Profile
Thanks very much for your comments chaps.

One other point that I failed to mention is the possibility that I might use the car for VSCC/MGCC trials and/or sprints & hillclimbs.
Would there be any disadvantage (stengthwise)in having an ally body in trials?

Are there any other worthwhile mods that existing trials competitiors have done to their J or P-types to reduce likelihood of damage and make them more competitive? I am currently having an engine rebuilt using a new PB block with Phoenix crank and rods.
(I'm aware that several current trials cars are supercharged but not sure whether that is necessary.)
Go to Top of Page

John Reid

United Kingdom
704 Posts

Posted - 17/09/2008 :  22:00:35  Show Profile
Bob,

The works team cars used aluminum bodies and bonnets, if that helps you decide. They were also most successful when blown (Marshall side mounted).
It might be worth talking to either Gerald Burridge or Bill Bennett, both of whom have very sucessful trials cars, able to hold their own in MCC trials. Bill wrote an article in the 2004 Yearbook on his car, well worth a read. Some people fit a Morris 10 7/37 taper roller differential to the 4-cyl cars and a Y-type equivalent (7/36) for 6 cylinder, but it depends on how serious your trialling will be as to whether you need to go this far. A sump guard is another consideration.

As I say, have a word with these two gentlemen.

John R
Go to Top of Page

BobRichards RIP

United Kingdom
238 Posts

Posted - 18/09/2008 :  16:12:03  Show Profile
Thanks for your comments John. I have contact details for Geoff Burridge but not Bill Bennett.

Can you or anyone else help me with those please?

(Please e mail me if you prefer confidentiality)
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000