Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Valve Materials
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Chris Bucknell

Australia
107 Posts

Posted - 21/09/2008 :  13:11:28  Show Profile
Hi All,

Looking for advice and suppliers for valves for P-Type's. Need racing quality valves.

What is best material based on experience? Inconel, Titanium, Steel??

Who supplies best valves for racing apps.

Thanks,

Chris

etlanpa

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2008 :  08:57:23  Show Profile
these guys are excellent...

http://www.gsvalves.co.uk/
Go to Top of Page

arjen

Netherlands
32 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2008 :  19:57:04  Show Profile
Chris,

Inconel and Titanium are over the top as our engines are not running with very hot exhaust gas temperatures. However valves are not an item you want to save money on if you are talking about racing and high rev's. A good quality steel alloy like 214N is appropriate. I would strongly recommend to have the stems chrome plated.
Our rocker arms give a substantial side load to the valve stems during operation. Combined with a knife edge on the valve guide, to scrape of oil makes the stems prone to wear in the contact area with the guide top end, specially when the valves do not turn during operation.
I have found on my KN-K3 substantial wear here and have had the valves stems re-ground and chromed. I also have taken out the knife edge and mounted seals.
Seals are very good for the environment and for lubrication. Actually seal is not saying it all. Modern seals are designed to "pump" the exact amount of oil between stem and guide during the up and down stroke. Additional benefit you will find less coking at the bottom end of the guide on the stem.

If you mount valve seals you can only use the outer springs, but I found this to be no problem. I rev my engine regularly to 7000 rpm during racing without difficulty.
Only one spring will also help the valve to turn during operation and make wear to be regular on the circonference of the valve seat. To further help the valves to turn I advise to put a thin hardenend washer under each spring.

S&V also sells "of the shelf" good quality valves you can find the link in the Links section.

Arjen

arjen
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 22/09/2008 :  23:10:57  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Yorvik

Chris

You will possibly find it far cheaper to go through someone like Tom Dark Engineering 01993 868840 as he had 200 odd made in 2006 and has plain stem valves in stock.

If you go to GS for small quantity then they will quote circa ú17.25 plus VAT for of up to 12 valves of each size.

Rich H

Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000