Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MMM racing - choice of tyres.
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Previous Page
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic
Page: of 2

colintf

United Kingdom
1506 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2022 :  12:17:37  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by Blue M

Avon SM are quite grippy tyres with softish rubber. This is why even on motorcycles 8 to 10 thousand miles is the norm. They also have very pliable walls so perhaps they are not really suitable for racing MMM cars?

they seem to suit Fred very well though!

Colin Murrell
PA0786 (D0285 previously)
Photographer for MGCC (LeMans Classic, Oldtimer Grand Prix etc) & MG Motor (BTCC 2012-5)
http://www.triple-mracing.com/
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1474 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2022 :  13:33:30  Show Profile
Colin, so it seems. But given the price of them and the low mileage (I went through quite a few) then Blockleys are much better value. They're better in snow than Blockleys though!
Go to Top of Page

Foz

United Kingdom
773 Posts

Posted - 18/08/2022 :  21:51:00  Show Profile
Ian,
the price of the tyres is not important.... the price of rebuilding the car after the (useless) ones fitted do not do their job - that is the deciding factor!
FOZ
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1474 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2022 :  06:23:14  Show Profile
Foz, that's what I meant. The Blockleys being less grippy are safer than the more grippy Avons being less likely to inspire a tipping over of the vehicle - something M owners are possibly more wary of than most mmm owners. So better value.
Go to Top of Page

Fred Boothby

United Kingdom
365 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2022 :  15:45:07  Show Profile
I have used both Avon SM ( which I believe stands for Safety Mileage ) and the Blockleys. Unfortunately Blockley do not make a 4.00x18 tyre , so I borrowed Foz's 4.50 Blockleys for a comparison in a race at Castle Coombe. Regardless of price , I will stick to the Avons , but I have been told that they are likely to be discontinued soon , so I must drive very carefully and make them last a little bit longer.
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1474 Posts

Posted - 19/08/2022 :  20:06:36  Show Profile
Excelsior make a 4.00 x 18 tyre with a tread similar to a Blockley. I only know people who have the nineteen inch version who seem happy with them.
Go to Top of Page
Page: of 2 Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
Previous Page
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000