Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Rear Spring Front Mounting Pin
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2008 :  20:44:33  Show Profile
I'm doing some work on the chassis of J0573 (only had the thing for 25 years!) In order to undo the front mounting pins for the rear springs it's necessary to remove the taper pins. The question is "How does one remove them?"

Bob Hudson

United Kingdom
67 Posts

Posted - 13/10/2008 :  21:15:39  Show Profile
Hi John
I had this problem on the PB chassis. I drilled each end of the pin the appropriate diameter just thru the depth of the support tube and was then able to unscrew the pins. When I fitted the new ones I drilled constant diameter holes and fitted modern spring pins.
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 14/10/2008 :  10:23:17  Show Profile
Hi John

I have seen a chassis where the owner simply applied force in removing the pin and amazingly it did not damage the thread in the chassis! Rather brutal and Bob's advice is the best way to proceed.

How many more Triple-M cars do you have!!

Regards George
Go to Top of Page

Richard Le Flufy

United Kingdom
66 Posts

Posted - 15/10/2008 :  13:43:39  Show Profile
John
I had the same fun, even broke the drill in the hole, but the real challenge came when trying to unscrew the bolt. Using a long pipe as an extension would not budge it but eventually heating it with a gas torch freed it.
Replace with a roll pin.
Richard

RLF
Go to Top of Page

Steve Cooper

United Kingdom
57 Posts

Posted - 16/10/2008 :  23:24:25  Show Profile
The taper pins normally go in from the top with the narrow end at the bottom. If you are doing a bare chassis rebuild, then turn the chassis upside down and knock them out - they are not difficult to see when all the paint and c**p is removed down to bare metal and they WILL come out. If you are changing them with the body on, then things are a little more difficult . First remove the floorboards and then the rear body brackets and U clamps (one side at a time I suggest). Then it's brute force I'm afraid. Drilling is an option but a bit hit and miss. There is plenty of room though, to attack from the top using 1/4 drill. The last one I did, the removal was accomplished using stilsons and a piece of scaffold pole levered vertically from inside the car + a bit of heat. Because the threaded part of the shackle pin (this what they are called) normally has some case hardening on it and the taper pin is soft, a clean shear off should take place without damaging the thread. When fitting the new shackle pins, it is not necessary to refit new taper pins. Use Loctite retainer either 601 or 648 - they will not budge with this and let's face it they shouldn't need replacing again .
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 18/10/2008 :  19:37:25  Show Profile
Just a quick 'thank you' to all those who have tenderd advice. I'm still 'sparring' with the problem and will let you know how I get on.

In answer to George I have two Triple-M cars. PB0722, which is on the road and is used extensively and J3656, which has been 'sleeping' since 1965. J0573 is just a bare chassis, for which a buyer is lined up.
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2008 :  22:24:42  Show Profile
Pleased to report that both mounting pins (shackle pins)have now been released from their limpet like grip. I used the Bob Hudson method, except that I was able to drill the taper pins out completely. My "partner in crime" David Stansbie (J2 and L2 owner) showed the pins 'who was boss' by heating up the housing and making life uncomfortable for them, but even then it was a struggle to undo them.

It's possible to see where the taper pins (I'm convinced mine were parallel) are located in the housing and I took a photograph, which I'll send on to Dick for "Safety Fast!" I used a 3/16" drill to drill out the taper (parallel?) pins.
Go to Top of Page

Gordon

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2008 :  13:22:39  Show Profile
When fitting new pins has anyone found that they do not screw up tight with the lubrication in the same place on both sides of the chassis? Where should the oil distribution groove be positioned? I would have thought that they should ideally be at the top o allow the oil to distribute about the pin most easily. What is the correct orientation?
Gordon

Gordon
Go to Top of Page

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2008 :  20:46:36  Show Profile
The lubrication oil pipe connection should be at the top which also puts the flat at the top where it is in the position of least load on the pin. To achieve this, what I did was to try both in each side and fit them each on the side where they finish up nearest this position and anticlockwise from it and then turned off the required amount from the mating faces of the pins,they are soft at this point. If they go just past the correct position shims would be the answer.

Maurice Blakey.
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1567 Posts

Posted - 23/10/2008 :  22:04:41  Show Profile
Gordon & Maurice,
Re orientation/location of the oiler fitting to the rear spring forward mounting pin - your suggestion for a 12 o'clock location for the oiler fitting presents a problem should it become blocked and it has to be removed, as it will be directly under the body mounting bracket and very difficult to access, so I suggest a good compromise would be between 45 and 90 deg towards the front of the car to give spanner access.
Also give some thought to using a TA rear spring - it has exactly the same spring dimensions and load/rate specification, but uses a metalastic rubber bush - you just have to make a special mounting pin.............no oiling maintenance required.........and put the oiler pipe in place (with no oil hole) and it will still look right .
The originality 'police' doubtless will comment!

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

Cymber

United Kingdom
966 Posts

Posted - 28/06/2009 :  20:59:35  Show Profile
Having just fitted my new body frame the obvious solution to the iaccessibility of the rear spring oiler when it is positioned at 12 oclock became apparrent. Just drill a 13/16" hole in the body mounting bracket in the appropriate place, This will allow access with a 5/16" BSF sosket. With appologies to those who have already thought of this.

Maurice Blakey
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 30/06/2009 :  23:52:58  Show Profile
In answer to Bruce's suggestion to use a TA rear spring, this has a downside. The front of the rear spring can move sideways on the metallastic bush, as location relies on the friction between the outer diameter of the bush and the inside of the spring eye. This can happen with enthusiastic cornering.

There is, however, a fix for this using a polyurethane bush. All is revealed in a technical article by Tony Smith in the July issue of "Totally T-Type", the bi-monthly magazine of the 'T' Register.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Prichard

United Kingdom
188 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  14:29:21  Show Profile
Hi John, have tried to contact you via Email, but was returned Delivery failed. Could you cantact me
many thanks
Bob
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 01/07/2009 :  21:02:51  Show Profile
Hello Bob,

Dunno why it failed. I've e-mailed you off list. You can also get me at regalia@tregister.org or via the 'T' Register website (on the Committee page).

Regards,

JOHN
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  10:09:04  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by John James

There is, however, a fix for this using a polyurethane bush. All is revealed in a technical article by Tony Smith in the July issue of "Totally T-Type", the bi-monthly magazine of the 'T' Register.

John

I presume that you mean the July 2009 issue which hads not yet been published?

Peter
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
963 Posts

Posted - 02/07/2009 :  20:21:34  Show Profile
Peter,

Yes, I knew what I meant, but I can't expect others to read my mind!

TTT has not yet been published, but I have the finished copies here and will be bringing a box of them to Silverstone to give out to subscribers and so save the Register some postage.

It won't be available to "the masses" until after Silverstone.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000