Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 MOT Testing
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Keith Wallace

United Kingdom
367 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2008 :  09:12:29  Show Profile
Pleased to report that my car recently passed the M.O.T but was supprised to be told that the brakes could not be tested on the garage "rolling road", but had to be road tested with a meter mounted on the passenger floor, as there was no breaking weight for the PB to use for the "rolling road" calculation.

Any one know what the brakeing weight for a PB is?

Robin Macmillan

United Kingdom
415 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2008 :  09:32:56  Show Profile
PA PB 2 seater 14cwt, 3qtrs
PA PB 4 seater 15cwt, 1qtr
scource Octagon Bulletin Jan 2006
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3238 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2008 :  10:49:30  Show Profile
I used to have my NB 2 seater Mot'd on a rolling road but prefer the method of using a Tapley meter to test the breaks. I think it is kinder on the car!

I believe in some instances garages cannot use the rolling road because of the narrower track on the J's and P's etc.

George
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2008 :  11:05:39  Show Profile
Hi Everyone,

It is not a good idea to have out cars tested on a rolling road. I now insist on a ôTiplerö test or an examiner road test. The reason is that the road rollers can, and do, break our diffs on the break test. Shortly after getting my P type on the road, after the MOT, I got and knock from the diff. On examination the tabs were twisted off the diff carrier ends. I put in a spare diff and reset the original one. The same thing happened after the next MOT. So for the next MOT, I went to a different MOT station when the tester was an ôold boyö with vintage motor cycles. I explained the issue and he laughed and ôHamö told me that this was very common when MOTÆs first started to get all the crappy, oil leaking, Austin, Morris and MG rubbish of the roads. Old cars put too much oil on the roads which caused Vintage motor cyclists to fall off the road!

Anyway, he said that our cars were very likely to jump out of the rollers and that the rollers would put strain on our weak diffs. He said from TD onwards would be OK. So he would do a ôTiplerö test and check the breaks on his test hill.

This MOT station was on a very steep hill (which also tested Triple-M clutches!) and the MOT bay was accessed but a short but steep slope with a right angle bent. As part of the test he would put the car on the slope, about 1 in 3, to see if the car would hold on the hand break. He knew our cars had hand break operation on 4 wheels. On one occasion a youth came to have an XR3i tested and was taking the pxxx out of the P type. He told both of us to park our cars on the slope and walk away. The XR3i started to move slowly down the slope and came to a gentle stop against the wall of the right angle bend. He then told the youth off in on uncertain terms not to open his mouth unless he knew what he was talking about and that he should show ôrespect for old carsö as he should for these older than himself. The parting quip was ôand put you baseball cap on straightö!

Sadly,they do not make MGs or ôHamö MOT testers like they use to, and the garage is more, after 30 years of my custom.

Regardsàà Terry
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2008 :  11:21:01  Show Profile

The handbook says PA/PB 2-Str. - 14 3/4 Cwt. (750 Kg. approx..)

PA/PB 4-Str. - 15 1/4 Cwt. (776 Kg. approx..)

These are, presumably, dry weights.

All my MOT man did was to dial them in.

It is said that some garagistes are unwilling to do the Tapley meter test on the road because of ''elf 'n safety' since MMM cars do not have seat belts, air-bags, etc..

Buying a Tapley Meter is a good way of keeping brakes up to scratch.

Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2008 :  11:25:12  Show Profile
Hi Terry
I think you mean a Tapley meter. Putting the J on the rollers always brings a smile to the face of my MOT man. He mumbles something like I suppose that is as good as they get and gives me the ticket. The rollers have never caused any damage to my car but I do agree they are rather violent and are probably better avoided.
See you saturday.
Terry
Go to Top of Page

Terry Andrews

United Kingdom
546 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2008 :  12:16:08  Show Profile
Hi Terry,

OOps.... You are correct of course.....Double checked by looking at the spelling on my meter!!! I will blame "Ham" as he was alway mixing up names for jokes and got in a right mucking fuddle!! See you Saturday...The Other Terry
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 22/10/2008 :  15:01:24  Show Profile
I was lucky the first year or so my PA had to be MoT'd - (2001 onwards) the examiner felt the tension of the brake cables at the operating end and was happy!

In subsequent years I have had the thing on the rolling road. No problems to report - though I remember that I did apply the brakes slowly and progressively rather than stamp on them and released them the instant the man was happy.

Incidentally, I've normally gone to Platts of Marlow - Jim Platt is the son of a former MGCC Committee member from the 1950s - there's a nice picture of the 1938 Chiltern Trial MG lineup outside this garage on Page 75 of Roger Thomas's "M.G. Trials Cars"

Incidentally, has anyone thought of drawing up a list of "kind" and "unkind" MoT garages?

Regards
Dick Morbey, PA/B 0743

Edited by - DickMorbey on 22/10/2008 15:02:54
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000