Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 P type pedal spacing
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Keith Wallace

United Kingdom
367 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2008 :  07:05:22  Show Profile
The accelerator and brake pedal positions had been swooped round when I bought the car and although I have now changed them back the brake pedal seems to be too close to the steering column!

As the clutch pedal remains in its original position, I would be very grateful if someone with a P type could give me the centres between all three pedals.

Thanks
Keith

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 29/10/2008 :  10:29:01  Show Profile
Keith

Starting from the left on my PA:

The clutch pedal is 1 3/16" wide.

The gap to the brake pedal is 2 9/16"

The brake pedal is also 1 3/16" wide

The gap to the accelerator pedal is 2 3/8"

The accelerator pedal is 3/4" wide

The clutch and brake pedals are roughly in the same plane, whilst the accelerator pedal sits slightly higher (i.e. nearer to the driver) so that when depressed it comes more into line with the other two pedals (unless you have your right foot hard against the firewall!)

Hope this helps.

Regards
Dick Morbey, PA/B 0743
Go to Top of Page

Keith Wallace

United Kingdom
367 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2008 :  07:08:36  Show Profile
Dick,

Thank you. just the information I was looking for.
My brake and accelerator pedals do need moving another 3/4" to the right

Keith
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2008 :  08:20:08  Show Profile
Keith - just a thought - the brake pedal sits in a casting which is bolted to the chassis rail, which if standard, will determine the lateral position of the pedal. The pedal and its linking rod (which is straight) will need to be in the same plane as the actuating crank on the brake cross shaft.

On my PA the brake pedal is a touch to the right of the steering column and does not foul it.

Regards
Dick Morbey, PA/B 0743
Go to Top of Page

Keith Wallace

United Kingdom
367 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2008 :  12:22:26  Show Profile
Dick,
Yes I understand this, but there are differences in the design of the pedal casting between cars, my brake pedal, which is straight, finish just below the steering column and catches the shoe when braking.
I have found a photo of another P type which appears to show the brake pedal leaver having a double set, to position it clear to the right of the steering column, but still finishes at the same height as the clutch pedal.
Thank you for your interest.
Keith
(PS The pedals were originally swoped round by bending their sharfts, probally for trials work?)

Edited by - Keith Wallace on 30/10/2008 12:35:05
Go to Top of Page

Peter Scott

United Kingdom
1240 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2008 :  18:56:18  Show Profile
Keith

On my PA, which I believe to be standard, the brake pedal does not touch the steering column but it is so close that my shoe does touch the column when applying the brake. I found that removing the thick carpet and underlay and using only a rubber mat provided a bit more space for my foot.

Peter

Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 30/10/2008 :  20:44:01  Show Profile
They are all like that. If one takes into account the average male foot being a size 7 in the 'thirties, the cramped pedal layout tends to be more understandable.

Perhaps someone can tell us Cecil Kimber's shoe size?

I remember driving a MMM years ago where the throttle pedal had been bent to move it over almost to the bonnet and the brake pedal similarly modified to move it clear of the steering column.

My size 10s need to be in rubber-soled slip-ons, or narrow-soled casuals, in order for me to feel comfortable driving the PA.

Worth it, though.
Go to Top of Page

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 31/10/2008 :  10:43:05  Show Profile
I have had this problem on one of my cars where the brake pedal was almost in contact with the column. A case of just bending it to the right. These will bend ok without problem

Rich H
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000