Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Len Goff RIP
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3243 Posts

Posted - 11/12/2022 :  22:08:21  Show Profile
I have heard that Len sadly passed away this morning.

Len was very well known in the Triple-M world as he owned a succession of Triple-M cars including K2015 and K3015/2. He was very skilled in woodworking and produced the wood frames for various models including K3s.

Len was a fantastic self taught artist and also used his skills in woodworking to produce amazing carved figures, including the Madonna and child for Bury St Edmunds Cathedral. In addition there is the carved figure of St.Edmund.

I had the privilege to have known Len for 40 or more years.

Len was a devoted Father to daughters Kimberley, Melanie and Lindsay and Grandfather to their children.

I send my condolences to the family.

Rip Len

Edited by - George Eagle on 11/12/2022 22:17:52

wiggy963

United Kingdom
69 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2022 :  09:36:40  Show Profile
Sad news indeed. I met Len only a few times, always a very interesting meeting. I send my condolences to the family
Go to Top of Page

John James

United Kingdom
965 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2022 :  11:22:13  Show Profile
So very sad.

Len told me a few weeks' ago that he was not quite feeling himself for a day or two and his daughters were insisting that he go for an 'MOT'.

Brian and Rosie Rainbow, who have both known Len for over 60 years, called on him the Sunday before last but couldn't make themselves heard. Brian phoned him later that evening and Len apologised, saying that he was asleep in his new chair. He had been experiencing difficulty in sleeping in a bed, so his daughters had bought him a special chair to sleep in.

A few years' ago. Len gave me a copy of his book 'Us', which I have read and re-read. I'll no doubt read it again to remind me of Len.

R.I.P. Len

Edited by - John James on 12/12/2022 11:25:19
Go to Top of Page

tholden

United Kingdom
1638 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2022 :  13:43:30  Show Profile
What sad news. I first met Len about 40 or so years ago. He was a great enthusiast and an incredibly nice guy. He was a very skilled craftsman in wood and the ash frames he made for our cars were a work of art. His drawings and artwork are brilliant and I am proud to have one of his 1993 fine prints of the K3 in the pits on the wall of my study.
Len was a man of strong principles and we had a discussion just a few months ago about the somewhat irregular goings on over the car called K3015 about which he held firm views.
A very sad loss to the Triple M community.
My condolences to all his family.
Terry

TH
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3243 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2022 :  16:14:26  Show Profile
I attach a photo of the Madonna and child carving Len produced and which is on display in Bury St Edmunds Cathedral - what amazing skill and attention to detail.

Like John I also have a copy of the book "US" which Len wrote following the sudden death of his beloved wife Chris in March 2008. Len kept very detailed diaries and as such the book covers a lot of local historical information as well as a chronicle of his family life.

Len's last project was building a very accurate 1/3rd scale model of the old horse drawn mail coach which traveled North from London on what is now the A5. When I last spoke to him last week Len was worried he would not be able to finish the project which had taken so many hours. The model is based on the original coach.

George

Edited by - George Eagle on 12/12/2022 16:24:00
Go to Top of Page

ht1962

Netherlands
114 Posts

Posted - 12/12/2022 :  19:05:09  Show Profile

My father had some very nice moments with Len after purchasing his lovely drawing of the Mille miglia K3 and even sending him his book 'Us'
My sincere condolenses to the family

Halbe Tjepkema
Go to Top of Page

Teifion

United Kingdom
145 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2022 :  14:43:45  Show Profile
I'm extremely saddened to hear this, Len had a marked effect on Diane + I when we met him the few times we did after purchasing 3015/2. He kindly passed us treasured possessions inc. his proof copy of 'Magnetised' and a copy of 'Us'.

A gentle, lovely man tremendously skilled in wood and other mediums, his kind are rare indeed.

Thoughts and prayers are with his family.

Teifion
Go to Top of Page

FrankAshleymgm

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2022 :  18:07:06  Show Profile
I first met Len some 50 years ago when I was taken to see a man who was making M-type bodies, and that was the start of a lasting friendship. Over the years I discovered the story of how the Goff family came to Pury End and the harshness of Len’s childhood and how his career as a self-taught cabinet maker developed. As the years passed, the other latent skills emerged; drawing and painting, poetry, music writing and sculpture in wood, and he excelled at all. Anyone who has received a letter from Len instantly recognises his immaculate writing in mid-blue ink.
Len was a kind and most generous person, ready to help where he could. My own amateur woodworking benefitted from his guidance on several occasions, and I am honoured to have received several full sized and miniature prints of his drawings and paintings as well as copies of “Us”, “Magnet-ized” and his last, “Shared Daydreams”.
As well as his life-long love of MG’s, his other passion was cycling and had been a member of the A5 Road club since childhood. He had a very fine collection of 50’s classic bikes all immaculately restored to his very high standards. His hero was Fausto Coppi and one of his treasured machines was the frame of Coppi’s last bike before retiring. Back in the 80s, having bought a tandem, I mentioned this to Len saying that we would like to have single bikes as well, and within a few days had sourced 2 frames as well as wheels and other parts to complete their restoration. Another example of his generosity.
Attached is a photo of The St Edmund statue mention by George. Len’s third half-size statue is of Christine his late wife which stands proudly in his home.
Along with many of our community, I shall miss Len greatly; RIP my old friend.

Frank Ashley
Go to Top of Page

FrankAshleymgm

United Kingdom
115 Posts

Posted - 12/01/2023 :  11:07:53  Show Profile
The date for Len's funeral has now been finalised and is Thursday 2nd February 11.30 am at St James Church Paulerspury. NN12 7NE
The family hope that some of Len's MG fiends will be able to make it.

Frank Ashley
Go to Top of Page

saltandvinegar

United Kingdom
105 Posts

Posted - 16/01/2023 :  18:26:47  Show Profile
I would concur with all the comments about Len's extraordinary expertise in so many fields. He was a Master Craftsman and truly unique. I was asked by the Family to let all the M.G. people aware of his passing but of course bad news travels fast and this made my involvement unecessary.
Rest in Peace Len.

Mike Dowley
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000