Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Headlamp bulbs
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Blue M

United Kingdom
1472 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  11:23:50  Show Profile
I have aquired a pair of halogen headlamp bulbs which are 55/60w. Am I right in thinking these will consume about 20amps? Since I have quite a small 12v battery which I think is 31ah presumably this will go down rather quickly as the dynamo obviously won't be able to keep up. Would it be ok to fit just one halogen bulb?

Ian

etlanpa

United Kingdom
560 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  11:57:16  Show Profile
No - 120W (2 bulbs at main beam) will draw 10amps.
Halogen bulbs draw the same current as conventional filament bulbs.
Always fit them in pairs!
Go to Top of Page

Blue M

United Kingdom
1472 Posts

Posted - 04/12/2008 :  12:14:52  Show Profile
Thanks for that. It's not quite as bad as I feared. I shall put the pair in and see what happens ( and put a spare battery in the boot ! ).
Cheers
Ian
Go to Top of Page

G.B.

United Kingdom
4 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  15:06:49  Show Profile
Ian - I run my PB with 45/40W Quartz Halogen headlights, together with LED side and tail lights and manage to keep going all night on MCC trials despite the standard 3 brush dynamo. To assist the wattage store (and the ballast!) I also have 2 good sized batteries wired in parallel.
For bulbs and LED's see www.norbsa02.freeuk.com
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  15:40:36  Show Profile
I run Halogen bulbs in my PA, but so far I have never been out after dark for long they are certianly better than the original bulbs. However I have just bought a new front light for my bike (push Bike) it is rechargable and has 1000 lumins output its as bright as the xion lights on my Porsche (cars now flash me)when I am out riding in the dark with cars comming towards me I still have vision and can see where I am going as if I was in a car, on full power it gives me 1 1/2 hours and up to about 4 hours on half power which is still bright enough to see where I am going. It has 4 LED's. I wonder if a manufacture will think of makeing conversion kits for old car with dynamos, as they draw very little power and are much brighter than halogen bulbs.
Rodney.
Go to Top of Page

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  18:12:28  Show Profile

Rodders. Most of us call them pedal cycles - unless we are old or unfit and have to push them!

Bob. ( Veteran-Cycle Club. Members use candle; oil; or acetylene. Some even have dynamos or battery lamps for the new electric light. )
Go to Top of Page

Bruce Sutherland

United Kingdom
1564 Posts

Posted - 07/12/2008 :  19:40:04  Show Profile
Rodney & all,
ô.............I run Halogen bulbs in my PA, but so far I have never been out after dark for long they are certainly better than the original bulbs.............. I wonder if a manufacture will think of making conversion kits for old car with dynamos........ö

Regarding LED bulbs to replace original filament types have a look at http://www.ultraleds.co.uk . IÆve found LED substitutes for my P Type front side lamps (with the SVC side and indicator bulbs) and the ST38 æpork pieÆ type rears.
For halogen replacements for original headlamp bulbs with the Ba15d bulb socket base (twin contacts), Anthony Pearson at http://www.classicandvintagebulbs.com/ has 12v 35/35w ba15d and a 45/40w and 60/55w with the shielded low beam (Duplo Style).
The low/dip beam filaments have a metal shield inside the bulb capsule and a black painted ænoseÆ to the bulb to get better cut-off.
Hope this helps.

Bruce. (PB0564)
Go to Top of Page

Rodney Collins

United Kingdom
424 Posts

Posted - 08/12/2008 :  11:38:28  Show Profile
Bob, My two bikes one off roader and one road bike are both of carbonfibre construction, I think an oil lamp would not look quite right on the front, I do remember as a youg racer riding to the brentwood road club out in the sticks the other side of Billericky in Essex with my mate Dave Wren (Jenny) with hardly a candle light between us, every time the ever ready lights faded you had to give them a tap and they would become bright for a mile or two before fading again to a glimmer, we used to go down a 1 in 6 hill on the way at about 35 MPH without much light it was by memory! Before we left for the eye balls out ride home along the A127 (about 20 miles) we would take the battries out and bend the brass contacts out and once again for a mile or two we would be able to see. I remeber one night all my mates had turned off to their homes and I had about two miles left to ride on my own on a fully lit A127 I passed a fat copper rideing his sit up and beg he shouted after me to stop because my rear light had gone so dim it could hardly be seen. I shouted back to him I would stop if he could catch me I let him get close but not close enough, i left him pannting beside the A127 very red faced. Ah those were the days.

Rodney
Go to Top of Page

Robbie

Netherlands
60 Posts

Posted - 13/12/2008 :  09:49:33  Show Profile
Gents,
I had LED lamps installed as well. It was period only. Maybe I purchased worng one but the extreme white color(Blue) does not belong to a triple M car. Same applies for tail lights. The warm lighting is replaced by cold modern bright light. If you have any experience with different color let me know.

Rob L2006, The Netherlands
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000