Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 Parts Wanted
 J2 Cycle Guard Front struts
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Hap Hazard

United Kingdom
123 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2023 :  16:05:32  Show Profile
Bit of a long shot, but what the hell, here goes.
Guess no one has a set of J2 front cycle struts (upper) that they are interested in selling?
Cheers,
Bruce

You’re a long time dead…

Richard Hardy

United Kingdom
2159 Posts

Posted - 11/04/2023 :  22:25:53  Show Profile
You may need to be more explicit on what you are looking for Bruce.

You have a P type but I believe you are wishing to fit cycle wings in which case you may be better off fitting the cast F2/J2 style main front wingstay supports, as opposed to the rather crude P / N type steel fabricated type which were designed to be hidden out of sight by the swept wings

If purchasing originals then inspect them carefully as generally, at least one may be bent and split. Not easy to weld / repair in the material they are cast up in.

Rich

Vintage MG Parts

Edited by - Richard Hardy on 11/04/2023 22:27:28
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1935 Posts

Posted - 12/04/2023 :  00:10:32  Show Profile
This is what reused P type swept wing stays look like with cycle wings.
Go to Top of Page

Ktype

United Kingdom
343 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2023 :  11:28:53  Show Profile
Nigel Watts are rather his daughter Emma cast small numbers of |Triple M castings in Cornwall. I got some lower aerofoil section wingstays from them. Daughter is Emma Davies 39 North Parade Cambourne 01209 714583. No email
Go to Top of Page

GWeber

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2023 :  15:13:44  Show Profile
We modified the original PA front wing struts to accept the end part of a rear wing strut, (new obtained from Vintage MG Parts). We cut some of the top end of the front strut off, flattened the end, and welded the new end on. Just cut off the end of the rear strut.

Gerry Weber
Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2023 :  17:49:36  Show Profile
Sorry everybody, it appears I have inadvertently made a mess of this thread. Hopefully Nick will be able to tidy it up.

I was trying to comment on Coracle’s posting. My question was to have been about the front axle and whether the apparent front axle negative camber is in fact a camera distortion. Converging verticals I think is the term.

Apologies again for my clumsiness. Time for my tablet - No, really!
Go to Top of Page

Hap Hazard

United Kingdom
123 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2023 :  19:30:44  Show Profile
Thanks guys for the potential contact and pictures, all very helpful.
Also thanks for your guidance Rich, the J2 aerofoil cast ones look nice but as you know, I have been so far been unable to source any cast ones. There is a potential avenue I am looking at the mo.
Gary, those headlight brackets are nice, where did you source yours?
Regards,
Bruce

You’re a long time dead…
Go to Top of Page

GWeber

USA
32 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2023 :  19:36:51  Show Profile
Bruce,

The headlight brackets are original to my car, just cleaned up nice!

Gerry Weber
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1935 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2023 :  22:42:15  Show Profile
An original P Type wingstay:

These can be used unadulterated, providing the stay goes under the cycle wing, which requires a flare in the inner circumference, to accommodate it. The original two bolt sidelight mounting can then also be used through the wing.
Go to Top of Page

Nick Feakes

USA
3372 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2023 :  22:44:27  Show Profile
No problem Andrew, all tidy now.
Nick

Webmaster
Go to Top of Page

coracle

United Kingdom
1935 Posts

Posted - 13/04/2023 :  22:49:49  Show Profile
quote:
Originally posted by kimber

I was trying to comment on Coracle’s posting. My question was to have been about the front axle and whether the apparent front axle negative camber is in fact a camera distortion. Converging verticals I think is the term.

Being lazy and late at night, I reused a compound image which was to demonstrate a change in perspective as the angle of the film/sensor plane is varied. Both pictures were taken with the same lens from the same distance, the only variation being the change in angle of the film plane.

This of course is only possible with an extreme wide angle lens.

So not camera distortion but the inevitable consequence of translating what is essentially a part spherical view onto a flat plane.

A problem familiar to all who look at flat maps of the world and try comparing them with a globe.

Go to Top of Page

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 14/04/2023 :  09:07:42  Show Profile
Good response and apologies for the thread drift.
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000