Triple-M Register
Triple-M Register
Home | Events | My Files | Policies | Profile | Register for the forum | Active Topics | Subscribers | Search | Locate Subscribers | FAQ
Username:
Password:
Save Password
Forgot your Password?

All Forums
 Triple-M Register Forums
 General Information
 Sequoia instrument panels
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Author Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  

Bob Stringfield

United Kingdom
854 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2008 :  18:33:35  Show Profile

PA 0603 has a replacement instrument panel in burr walnut veneer. It seems that the PA originals were in Sequoia (Redwood).

Assuming that this information is authentic: a) was the panel solid or veneered? and b) Is it possible to buy a replacement dashboard in this wood and is there a source of supply?

Sequoia is, apparently, very rot-resistant, so would have been a logical choice in 1934.Why are 'pattern PA dashes in walnut?

Did any other factory bodies use Sequoia?

'Search' is a bit thin on Sequoia, so over to the MMM Register.

Bob.

kimber

United Kingdom
1529 Posts

Posted - 24/12/2008 :  19:06:25  Show Profile
I seem to remember once being told that the dash was in fact burr elm (veneer), not walnut as I too had thought. Still not sure. The backing is (was) ply.

Edited by - kimber on 24/12/2008 19:07:50
Go to Top of Page

AidanC

USA
8 Posts

Posted - 25/12/2008 :  03:14:17  Show Profile
Bob, The Whitworth Shop in Novelty, Ohio, USA probably make the finest dashboards available for N, P, and T types. They use Redwood(Sequoia) Burl on PA dashboards. Contact Craig Seabrook at seabrook@en.com or phone (440)338-5950 .......Aidan
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 25/12/2008 :  09:16:12  Show Profile
Bob

PAs had sequoia-veneer applied to a roughly half inch thick plywood. The dashboard was not solid and the ply on mine was rather flaky - definitely not marine ply!

Sequoia was discontinued with the introduction of the PB, as the harvesting of the sequoia tree was banned by the authorities. (The giant redwoods were an endangered species even in those days!) Thus the PB dash was veneered in walnut.

When I re-made my PA dashboard in 2000 I obtained Redwood burl veneer from EV Exports of Bourne End, Buckinghamshire. They were able to supply these in "bookmatch" form (i.e. like the centre pages of a book so the veneers are a matching pair. Cost GBP 20 !

When last checked EV were still in business at Unit 10, Wooburn Industrial Park, Wooburn Green, High Wycombe, Buckinghamshire HP10 0PE
Tel: +44 (0)1628 850066

Regards
Dick Morbey, PA/B 0743
Go to Top of Page

Gordon

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 25/12/2008 :  10:51:09  Show Profile
I can confirm that the original dashboard on my PB was burr elm. I took it to some RR time served craftsmen who learnt their trade at RR and they sanded down the original and confirmed that it was burr elm. As the dashboard was in a very poor state of advanced rot and multiple non original holes it had to be renewed. These guys had some burr elm and they matched the size of the whorls to the original and then taught me how to do the whole job. If anybody wants to know how I did the job please let me know.
Happy Christmas
Gordon

Gordon
Go to Top of Page

George Eagle

United Kingdom
3240 Posts

Posted - 25/12/2008 :  18:55:37  Show Profile
The dashboards on the N types were the same i.e. my original, but not reusable, NB dash is burr walnut veneer.

My replacement dash was made by Len Goff who also used to make complete ash frames but retired from this type of work some time ago.

George
NA0960
Go to Top of Page

leckstein

USA
411 Posts

Posted - 25/12/2008 :  22:40:20  Show Profile
what were the dash boards of the M type made out of?

Mike L
Go to Top of Page

DickMorbey

United Kingdom
3677 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2008 :  09:23:22  Show Profile
Gordon,

Many thanks for your interesting posting about re-veneering your dashboard.

Rather than letting interested parties have details of what you learned from your ex-RR contact, would you consider writing it up so that it could appear as an item in either Safety Fast or the Triple-M bulletin?

If you would care to e-mail me at richard.morbey@gmail.com I would be very happy to arrange this.

The same goes for all Triple-M owners/drivers - I am always on the lookout for interesting stories etc. so am happy to be bombarded by all and sundry! Let the salvoes begin!

Compliments of the season to all.

Regards
Dick Morbey, PA/B 0743
Go to Top of Page

davies

United Kingdom
699 Posts

Posted - 26/12/2008 :  10:33:33  Show Profile
Mike L , M Type Dash , the original bit of my dash is mahogany - Rich
Go to Top of Page

bahnisch

Australia
674 Posts

Posted - 31/12/2008 :  07:30:49  Show Profile
I think that I can confirm most of the responses. My M-type dash appears to be original and appears to be mahogany (which was extensively used in car interiors, being light, quite durable and decorative). When it comes to burr-type veneers, I venture to say that it would take a very experienced expert to tell the difference between elm, walnut and probably sequoia (I have had no experience with the latter and never used it).
Go to Top of Page

Gordon

United Kingdom
692 Posts

Posted - 30/03/2009 :  14:47:10  Show Profile
Hi Brian,

To obtain the satin finish use wet and dry paper in the correct steps finisihg off with 1500 and leave as is. If you have been carefully through the sequence and have always rubbed in a stright line and turned direction through 90 degrees between each paper you will be able to see easily when you have completely removed the previous paper marks. Use wet (plenty of water) with touch of washing up liquid and gentle pressure; this will prevent the paper from clogging up and causing coarse scratches. I am assumng that you will have applied multiple coats of clear laquer first to give sufficient thickness and will have fully sealed ALL edges.

If you need more info suggest you contact me via e-mail.

Gordon

Gordon
Go to Top of Page
  Previous Topic Topic Next Topic  
 Forum Locked  Topic Locked
 Printer Friendly
Jump To:
Triple-M Register © 2003-2024 MGCC Go To Top Of Page
Snitz Forums 2000